Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 PM

Default Rear tire

Hi all, my son has a question...... (say hi to Wes)

"does anyone know how a kenda budds creek or washougal tire runs or what is the best type of rear intermediate to hard tire?"

He just wore out a Milville sticky but I think for our single track medium to hard pack riding (single track trails) there is a better tire. I can't convince him to try a trials tire (I'm trying one next). Help him out anyone? I have always used Michelin M12 but have gotten a little disappointed with their change. Thanks!

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)

Old 07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

The reviews on the Budds Creek weren't that great.

I've had excellent luck with the Maxxis SI(soft) and IT (intermediate) tires.
I'm waiting on their for new radial knobby.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:29 PM

I second the Maxis IT's very rugged.
AMA D36
375X
OTHG
375S

***Thanks for the support : Twin Air /O'Neil Racing / Race 100% / Matrix Concepts / ODI / Mika Metals
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Administrator

An old school tire that is intermediate terrain and wears like iron is the IRC VE-33. It is a six ply tire w/ bead saver and resists flats very, very well. And reasonably priced as well...

I still run one of these occasionally in the summer months. In the winter here - michelins. Although, I have to say, I have had so little time to ride over the last few years that I still have a new ve-33 waiting to be used in the garage....

jeff
Old 07-02-2009, 11:57 AM

Maxxis IT rear, SI front. Works awesome pretty much everywhere. In the soft stuff the SI rear works better though.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
Maxxis IT rear, SI front. Works awesome pretty much everywhere.
I ran that too and really liked it. For fun I picked a Pirelli MT-43 trials tire and so far I'm loving that too.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Talking

After running just about every brand knobby, my favorite is not a knobby at all.
The Pirelli MT43 trials tire is by far the longest lasting, best performing, cheapest per ride, best traction, best riding tire to date. I have tried all the trials tires, Michelin, IRC, and Dunlop.
Just my 2 cents.
GasGasDreamer
2014 Beta Evo Factory 300
Old 07-02-2009, 12:51 PM

I really like my michlin s-12,, even tho its a "soft terrain" tire I use it for rocky technical terrain and in the larger/wider sizes it holds up well.. I run a 130/80 18 and no chunking in the rocks and wears great.. I had a smaller size that just threw the side knobs right off in the rocks.
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 PM

I use a trials tire on a regular basis too, it's awesome but some guys just don't like them. Their loss.

Steve,
No offense, but I would never recommend the S12 for rocky terrain. Especially the stuff around Spokane, WA. We use the S12 up here, but it gets trashed in the rocks. Traction is great, but after a 3 hour hare scramble it is absolutely toast (mind you this is with my friend who is a AA racer using it. I only use an S12 in the soft stuff since it chunks so easily in the rocks). This experience is with the 130/80-18 and 140/80-18 tires.

If you want a knobby tire that lasts, the Maxxis IT is definitely one of the best. After the Rock Pile Enduro last week in Montana my IT rear tire barely looks worn. In fact, I'm using it again this weekend for the Canadian Enduro Championship races!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Thumbs up thanks for the input

Hey all, Wes says "thanks". Cycle Gear has the Maxxis IT for $63. That minus a $20 gift card he has means big savings so I think his mind is made up. Now I have a question... Maxxis IT or Maxxis Desert IT? Does anyone know the differance?

As far as trials tires, geez, I used to buy the IRC's for $63 I'm curious about the Pirellis, Has anyone found who has the best deal on them? There are 2 local clubs here and neither seem to think much of the Dunlop trials tires and the Michelins are too much $$.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)