Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Under seat toolbox idea

I was using my GG fanny pack to carry tools and spares until it wore through and started leaking tools. I thought about replacing it with another fanny pack/tool belt but, I was carrying so much junk that the old pack was getting heavy by the end of the day and pulling my pants down #plumerscrack I bought a fender bag from Wolfman after reading favorable reviews on line. I mounted it on my rear fender because it seemed too heavy on the front. I thought that it was secure, I even cut some notches in between the fender and side covers for the metal clips on the straps to hook into. Well, about five miles into the Muddobber's family enduro I heard something and looked down to see my fender bag wrapped around by back wheel and sprocket. It must have been loose for awhile because all my tools and spares where spread over several acres of Indiana country side! I did find one tire iron.

Next up was the under seat tool tray idea that I had seen on this site. I liked the idea of under the seat storage since I have a quick release seat but, after some studying, I realized that there is a lot of unused room on the left side of the airbox (I have an'11 Six Days so no battery) I used a piece of 2-1/2" thin walled aluminum tubing that I "acquired" from work but, I think you could purchase from McMaster-Carr. I flattened it in a vice between two pieces of steel to form an oval and cut two 45 degree angles on the bottom and made a cap from expanded metal and bolted it on. I slid it down beside the air filter as far as possible and marked and cut the top edge at 45 degrees also. I am using an elastic strap to hold it to the sub frame and so far it seems pretty solid. I can't carry all of the stuff i used to but there is room for a plug wrench, spare plug, long nose vice grips, six way screwdriver and a bag of bolts and zip-ties.
I know that there are some really creative minds out there that can improve on this idea so, let's see what you all can come up with. I would really like to find some wider oval shaped plastic to make better use of the space.

28-045RD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 062.jpg (109.4 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 058.jpg (120.9 KB, 218 views)

Custom billet bits

Old 11-02-2013, 10:58 AM

Good idea !
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 11-02-2013, 12:59 PM

Ditto.
If someone can fab an ally box to fit that space i'm sure it would be a good seller. Got to admit fender packs always seem to break or get kick when you sling your leg over the bike

2004 EC 200
Old 11-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default yep

Now you've got me thinking I'm the guy on the trail with every damn tool I need and my backpack/hadration setup ends up weighing 30lbs! And the fender packs only last a little while before they ruin the fender and or fall apart.If I can just get 1/2 my stuff off my back i'll be happy
Thats gonna be one of my winter projects now
Thanks for the idea
Stoby
Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I know what you bean Stoby, I like to be prepared also. Luckily, I have never been standed on the trail but, I have been able to help out some fellow riders by carrying the right tools. I am carrying my flat kit and a multi-tool in my hydrator now. I would much rather have the weight on my shoulders than around my waist though.
Custom billet bits
Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM

I am new to this, I have only ever done track riding before, so my tools where just a small push away. When mountain biking you can get all the tools you need in something no bigger than a couple of fingers.
I did my first ride with a bum bag, and hydration pack. I did not like it, the more tools I can get on the bike the better, but again I don't want to put waight on my front wheel, I can believe people do, all the time and work by engineers only to be screwed up by a few tools.
I was going to make a tool box in the air box but with the cdi in there is not a lot of space.
I hope someone better than be thinks up something.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoby View Post
Now you've got me thinking I'm the guy on the trail with every damn tool I need and my backpack/hadration setup ends up weighing 30lbs! And the fender packs only last a little while before they ruin the fender and or fall apart.If I can just get 1/2 my stuff off my back i'll be happy
Thats gonna be one of my winter projects now
Thanks for the idea
Stoby
I actually just took my fender bag off because it was deforming my rear fender plus I kept hitting if I shifted my weight back while standing. I might go back to a fanny pack until I find a better solution.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:38 PM

Here is the toolbox I made on my 2012 300

I upgraded to the new aluminum subframe. As you may be aware that came with a new seat. I then took my old 2012 battery box and covered any holes with thin aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk