Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > All Other Bikes...

All Other Bikes... KTM, Husky, VOR, Husaberg & Hondayamazuki...

Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit9 View Post
I just saw that the format is for 200cc-300cc 2strokes. So really anyone can play.

I wasn't aware Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki are still selling the 2 strokes in other markets. Is this true?
I think I read somewhere that Suzuki still sells the RM 125/250 in some markets - a warmed over version like Yamaha does.

The best news is the announcement of a 300 cc 2-t FIM Championship - even if it is run by Giuseppe Luongo. People love to hear a 2-t at full song on a MX track - see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOSuMf5eT0w.

Hopefully it spurs a manufacturer to build a 350-400cc 2-t that can run with the 4-t 450 on a MX track!

Let's be honest, if anybody builds that bike it will be KTM - they have the resources and history of taking the plunge into unknown displacement segments.

Good times indeed!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:54 PM

There was talk in last months dirtrider that ktm has the 2 stroke DI already available but is sitting on it and waiting for yes wait for it...... Honda to release there already developed 2 stroker DI motor. Also implying why they would release the DI motor when people are still gobling up the carbureted motors.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I get it....always that10%...right!
Always! What good is a forum if you can't throw ideas back and forth.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 PM

But Honda hates 2ts ...

This bike is some kind of FI 2t, and finished the Dakar in the mid 90's I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOSuMf5eT0w
Old 10-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I don't imply to be very motor savy, but besides the cleaner burn which the OEMs care about, what performance gain will DI bring to the market? I'm not going to buy a DI 2 stroke unless it does something better than the current stuff.

With all the millions of weed eaters and blowers running daily, I fail to see the harm a few dirt bikes do on the weekends....

Current ride: 2009 WR450

Previously owned: 12 Gas Gas XC300R, 06 WR450, 06 YZ250, 05 Gas Gas EC250, 05 KTM 450EXC, 02 KX250 w/EG310 kit, 03 YZ250F
Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I don't imply to be very motor savy, but besides the cleaner burn which the OEMs care about, what performance gain will DI bring to the market? I'm not going to buy a DI 2 stroke unless it does something better than the current stuff.

With all the millions of weed eaters and blowers running daily, I fail to see the harm a few dirt bikes do on the weekends....
I concur. Lots of stink out there otherwise, and I get by just fine with a well jetted carb.

After watching a buddy DNF the last few races due to EFI issues that he can't seem to get a hold of on a 4t Berg 450, I don't want FI.

But, if DFI can clean up emissions it is one less reason the Greenies have to attack us. I think for the Cali guys it is the only way they will ride a new 2t on public lands going forward.

Maybe the SmartCarb will be our saviour?
Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Don't the Japanese (minus Honda) still sell 2t mx'ers worldwide?

PlusOnePerformance
No, just Yamaha.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:

Direct injection (D.I.) is very different than the common throttle body fuel injection (F.I. or E.F.I.) we see on 4strokes. As I understand it D.I. motors inject raw fuel inside the motor whereas E.F.I. motors mix fuel with air in the intake. Apparently D.I. requires much higher injection pressure to properly atomize the fuel. E.F.I. is an external system that can be added to any dirt bike but D.I. has to be built into the motor. With D.I. the exhaust port and how it works is also much different and more complicated. I won't try to explain it but the bottom line is very little unburned fuel makes it out the exhaust - better fuel burn means more power, less emissions and better mileage. It also eliminates the need for an expansion chamber - the pipe can be an ordinary straight pipe like a 4stroke.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:31 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
It also eliminates the need for an expansion chamber - the pipe can be an ordinary straight pipe like a 4stroke.
Is that so? Not that I actually know D.I. twostrokes, but the ones I have seen (on paper, at least) seem to have an expansion camber. Bimota Vdue comes to mind, as well as Aprilia's SR50 scooter.
I would think that the expansion chamber in any case would have an effect in the (clean air) filling of the cylinder?

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc

Last edited by Anders; 10-02-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:44 AM

Loss of expansion chamber means loss of a power band which means significantly less fun on a 2 stroke.
2011 Husaberg FE390 - OLD STEED
2010 Yamaha WR250F - OLD STEED
#53B

I dream of a better tomorrow, where Chickens can cross the road, and not be questioned about their intentions.