Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default E-start bendix not bendixing :)

Any special oil or lube to put on this thing, it just spins, spins fast, but no engaging the fly-wheel?
Thanks
Rob

Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Did you replace the battery? Mine would spin up without engaging. Worked right only 50%. A Lithium Ion battery will "throw" the bendix out much faster so it engages right away. I put some synthetic engine oil on the bendix and light wipe of grease on the ring gear. I even did some gear tooth profiling on the bendix gear, but it didn't help. The Yuasa battery is weak.

Perhaps some of the return springs are too strong. Was there any change in the part numbers for these units?

Jump your bike battery from a car or truck. If the bendix engages every time, you know it's a battery issue.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 AM

No, i thought that may be the issue, but my smart charger says that the battery is good, maybe that is good for nothing

do you remember which Li ion you went with? does it recharge normally, I think that some of them now do not need a special charger.

I guess I will wait to see if I have a job this afternoon after my boss just blew up before ordering one.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:14 AM

The Yuasa would charge fine and showed OK voltage, but it just wouldn't drive the bendix out fast enough. There was sufficient power to crank the engine IF it engaged.

The LI battery info on the internet warned against charging at over 14.4V, so I did not rush to try one. The voltage on my bike measured as high as 15.6V which is way over that, but the description on the box indicated that up to 15.0V was OK. My regulator output bounced all over the place with the Yuasa battery (12.8 to 15.2 depending on what loads I had on).

I even isolated the stator ground and installed a TrailTech voltage regulator. That experiment did not work out to my expectations, so I put the stock regulator back on. I suspect the Yuasa battery was at fault, but have not done enough testing to verify this. I should post some detail about the stator modifications as it may be interesting to someone.

Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 is what you want.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 AM

Default I just received this from my dealer...

I don't think that this is specific to this issue as mine isn't even engaging but when the bike was new I had some meshing issues and a bigger gasket helped. it looks like I stumbled onto what they are suggesting but with specifics and not trial and error.

Well, my PDF is too big. Glenn can you PM me with an email so I can send you a copy?
Rob
Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 AM

There is at least one previuos thread on this issue here. As you mention, the solution for some was adding a gasket.

For me, my starter won't engage cold, but does fine when the bike has warmed up. I don't mind kicking my bike in the parking lot, as long as I don't have to do it while sliding backwards downhill or while stuck in a creek.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:36 AM

if it is this one: http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...gasket+starter

that was me also, but this is a different issue, not that it is engaging poorly, it sounds like it is not even extending to engage.... whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and that is it.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:12 PM

A thicker gasket will correct the condition where the gears are snug and need a bit more play to operate. I have some notes in this thread that might help (note: conclusions in the first post are wrong)

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9914

Check your gear mesh by taping up the assembly (as shown in the post). This should be the first step so you know the gear mesh is OK.

Rob, what does the bendix feel like when it is out of the bike? It has to move really smooth. If it is too dry the sprag clutch might be worn. You can see the sprag (one-way) elements when you slide the spring cover down. They allow for over-run when the engine starts. They have to hook up when cranking. It sounds like yours isn't throwing out at all (along the cam groove). Too dry to slide or maybe the cam groove is worn from being dry?

Any better operation using a car battery?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM

Rob sent me the pdf. It's mostly set up as a chart whereby you measure the ring gear location and match that up to a recommended gasket part number. I expect this relates to differences in crankshaft location which have to be accomodated by gasket thickness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg estart1.jpg (90.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg estart2.jpg (59.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Site Sponsor

I had alot of issues with my electric start but after alot of trial and error I seem to have it working almost flawlessly. First I had problems with it engaging and then kicking out as soon as the bike started to turn over. Then after alot of shimming and messing around with the bendix it started to hang up and wouldn't disengage. I installed a thicker gskt. and cured that problem. It also seemed to help it engage better but wasn't a complete fix. The last thing that I did that seemed to help the engaging problem was stretching the bendix spring. If you rotate the bendix gear so that it is fully extended you are able to reach in and pull the spring out. If you are careful you can stretch the spring a little. Again you have to be careful so you don't damage the spring or over stretch it. Alot of you guys are probably not going to want to do this to a good bendix. But I was to the point were I didn't really care if I ruined it or not. Luckily it worked and my starter is working better than it ever has. Good luck! Ross