Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Ohlins 888 cracked lower mount

So today I was about to put the shock back on the bike. Cleaning and greasing the bolts and checking how everything goes back together. Top mount in too easy! Line the bottom mount up with the linkage and getting ready to feed the bolt through and notice that there is a fracture/crack in the lower shock where the bolt secures. Any ideas what would have caused such a thing to happen? Best way to repair? I have no idea how to pull the shock down enough to replace the damaged part. Any idea how much I'd be looking at to have it repaired? Am I going to be running the TTX rear shock sooner than expected? Pics below (the crack is visible inside the threads too, so it has broken right through).

Old 04-20-2012, 11:04 PM

Any good suspension guy who can get Ohlins parts should be able to change that clevis. If you can take the shock apart yourself you just need a shaft holder. If I had to guess, I'd say that was cracked either by excessive torque, or by forcing the clevis over the rocker with one of the cup washers out of position, resting on the rocker not the oring. No evidence of impact on the lower edge. Ohlins USA used to have a kit with steel inserts to fix stripped clevis threads and strengthen the clevis. This clevis looks a little different though.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 PM

Well that's enough to turn a man's mood sour

If I'm reading the Ohlins spec sheet right the shock shaft screws into the end bracket. You'd have to pull the shock shaft and disassemble the piston and valve stacks. Then you've got to clamp the shaft securely in a proper clamp (the shaft is hard coated but marring it would mean inevitable leaks later), heat the end to break the threadlock (but not melt the rebound adjuster bits) and turn the bracket off.

I might be inclined to send the photos to your importer and/or local Ohlins rep and see if they wouldn't just replace the shaft and rebound mechanism altogether. After all the bike is only ridden lightly every other Sunday
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Good time to change the oil...no need to remove the piston or valving from the shaft but you will need the holder tool.

Two things,
1. You'll need a heat gun, they use a fair amount of locktite, a little tricky heating and not melt the rebound adj knob.

2. There's a pin that sits in the shaft, carefull you don't loose or damage it.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:15 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Apart from finances being low after all the bling you have just fitted to your bike you could look at it as a forced opportunity to bling up your rear shock with either a revalve, racetech or ttx or at least get to learn about your shock internals
Old 04-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Great advice everyone! I don't feel confident delving into the inners of a shock just yet. Its probably not as hard as I expect but its definately into new waters (maybe over my head). I'd need someone to hold my hand through it so say the least.

Without pointing blame, the only other time the shock has been accessed and linkage lubed was with through the gas gas dealer, as part of the warranty conditions. Might have been the 6 month service, so based on that I might see if I can run it through the dealer via the importer.

I could send it out somewhere to be fixed up, but not sure what the time frames will be for turnaround. To have it serviced and revalved would be ace, but I honesty wouldn't know what to ask for. When running the Sachs forks the shock was the prime part of the equation.

The cup washers look in good shape, as did the bearing in the linkage where it joins.

Can anyone here confirm if the new spring I just purchased for the shock will fit the TTX?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Great advice everyone! I don't feel confident delving into the inners of a shock just yet. Its probably not as hard as I expect but its definately into new waters (maybe over my head). I'd need someone to hold my hand through it so say the least.
We can get you through it ... and it's already broken anyway
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

The other thing is that I have the new forks and fresh top end on the bike. Has been pulled down for around 2 weeks now so really really excited to get it back together and go for a ride!!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 AM

I'll confirm it for you Jake the answer is NO lol! I accidentally received a spring for a 888 and the inner diameter is too small to fit over the ttx shock body I'll post a pic for you
Old 04-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Grumble grumble.. Considering I just bought a brand new spring for the 888 I now feel more obliged to try and fix it first. If it had of been a clean swap it would have made TTX all that bit more enticing (read less painful). Haha!

Its the weekend here so not a lot I can do with anything. I'll make a few calls to try and get the 888 sorted on Monday.

Can someone give me some more in depth details on what I'll need to do to fix it. I'm guessing it'll need oil drained, gas drained, shaft holder tool, and heat. I wouldn't even know how to drain the oil or the gas, let alone how much to put back in, or where to get it regassed. I have a butane torch but I imagine thats a sure way to melt the adjuster knob.