Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Observations and Rumors About Gas Gas for the US

I'm sorry to stir the pot but some people talked me into posting this thread. Sorry, Clay, I know this won't make things easier for you...Does anyone else out there wonder why there has been so little "chatter" about upcoming models and plans with respect to GG and the US market? I notice less postings than the prior couple of years, longtime GG owners are selling their bikes and moving to other brands, and there seems to be more Sherco ads than GG ads...Really? More Sherco ads? Checkout the Trail Rider link in another thread and I did not see a GG ad (however,there was a ride report so that is kind of like advertising). I'm not passing judgement on advertising, just noting it for what it is. I heard a rumor that involves GG Trials and Enduros in the US: No details but "something is happening". It's second hand, just noting that I heard it. It makes sense to me that the factory would like to have one importer for their entire line...I heard a rumor that no 2014s will be delivered to Colorado. Wow! We have a decent market here but a strange state law regarding new bike sales...Look at the GG and Sherco sites, Colorado has dealership presence so something IS going on out there. I've talked to a number of GG folks here and on the trails and we all think that a big change is coming for the US market...I'm not saying this in a negative way, it happens periodically in most businesses. I'm just wondering what it's going to be!! Please don't turn this into a KTM/Beta/Sherco thing...I'm only talking Gas Gas and what I have heard (and not heard).

Eric

2003 KX/KDX 220 hybrid
2021 Kawasaki KRX 1000 Trail Edition
1974-86 Vintage Can Ams, SWMs, Puchs, etc.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:30 AM

This has been tried twice already and did not work. That's why Clay took over. In fact Sherco realized the same thing, how many bikes did they sell under the trials importer? Read your GG history book! No news because GG is always a bit late to the party, or KTM early, depending on how you look at it. I want more '14 info on Beta and Sherco too and none to be had either, only KTM and the Japaneese.

As far as things being quieter here with regard to promotion, it's kind of expected being the guy is dealing with two mfgs. as well as other things. Maybe he is a little busy. Clay is a good guy and has always stepped up, if there is a problem he shows up to solve it.

With regard to longtime riders selling bikes, in 14 yrs let me know what you are riding. Things change, more choices now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 06-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I remember an axiom I learned 35 years ago when I sold motorcycles; Don't sell next years model. Sell what's on the floor now. Maybe we need some Austrian guy to buy some Spanish assets.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah those that have seen a few rounds know better than to get excited when they advertise next years model. People here in Australia have only just received their 2013 models..
Old 06-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Banned

Last year I took a KTM order guide to Spain with me and gave it to the guys at the factory and said "This is what I need to give dealers to help sell bikes". I got "Yes yes this is great. We will do this next year". About four weeks ago I got the info from GG on the 2014 models. It was two slides in a Power Point presentation, no pics, no specs, nothing. I asked about pricing and was told we think it will be about the same as last year. Since I do not know what the prices are and I do not know what the bike looks like I have not solicited orders from dealers. Since I do not have orders from dealers I have not ordered bikes from GG. I'm "on strike" I guess you could say until they give me proper ordering info.
Two days ago I got complete 2014 info on Shercos except for pricing which I am told I will have next week. When I get that I will send out to all dealers and take orders from them.
I just finished construction on a building behind my house that will house Sherco parts. I have been working on that project every day that I wasn't unloading bikes, shipping bikes or prepping race bikes/demo bikes for an event. I get up in the morning and check email, look at the GGRC and Sherco Forum to see if there is anything that needs my attention and then I start working on the shop. I am going to start putting parts up on shelves this afternoon (Saturday).
To be absolutely honest....I am pushing Sherco more than GG right now. I am furious about the whole subframe debacle and some misrepresentations the factory made to me on the 2013 models. I have asked them to warranty all of the 2012 and 2013 subframes but haven't gotten an ok on that request yet. I honestly doubt I will but I asked/demanded. Sherco is simply easier for me to push right now because in addition to having great motorcycles (like GG) they have parts and info when I need them. I still plan to sell GG in the future but I expect to sell more Shercos.
As far as the Colorado thing....both brands have the same issue with the stupid California and Colorado paperwork requirements. Whoever is giving you info about CO doesn't know the whole story.
Clay
Old 06-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Banned

I had one other thought while I was sweating my behind off in the, as of now, non-air conditioned parts facility.....I feel I have been very transparent in my business with members of this forum. However, there are times when I have to keep my mouth shut due to on going negotiations with Gas Gas or other companies. I hope you guys will respect this.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 PM

Not only Respect but admire and appreciate your hard work!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:18 PM

I think you have been awesome. I appreciate all that you do for this brand, and am quite put off in their attitude towards the US business at least. Hopefully Sherco takes off great for you. Count it as a blessing in disguise though. If GG was on the ball you wouldn't be getting as much done for Sherco setup. Sometimes it works out for the best.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:18 PM

Agreed, thanks for all of your extra effort. It is appreciated!!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopernicus View Post
I'm sorry to stir the pot but some people talked me into posting this thread. Sorry, Clay, I know this won't make things easier for you...Does anyone else out there wonder why there has been so little "chatter" about upcoming models and plans with respect to GG and the US market? I notice less postings than the prior couple of years, longtime GG owners are selling their bikes and moving to other brands, and there seems to be more Sherco ads than GG ads...Really? More Sherco ads? Checkout the Trail Rider link in another thread and I did not see a GG ad (however,there was a ride report so that is kind of like advertising). I'm not passing judgement on advertising, just noting it for what it is. I heard a rumor that involves GG Trials and Enduros in the US: No details but "something is happening". It's second hand, just noting that I heard it. It makes sense to me that the factory would like to have one importer for their entire line...I heard a rumor that no 2014s will be delivered to Colorado. Wow! We have a decent market here but a strange state law regarding new bike sales...Look at the GG and Sherco sites, Colorado has dealership presence so something IS going on out there. I've talked to a number of GG folks here and on the trails and we all think that a big change is coming for the US market...I'm not saying this in a negative way, it happens periodically in most businesses. I'm just wondering what it's going to be!! Please don't turn this into a KTM/Beta/Sherco thing...I'm only talking Gas Gas and what I have heard (and not heard).

Eric

The trials importer already had his chance of being the enduro Dist and screwed it up royally. Clay has done and is doing a super job with the enduro bikes.