Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:12 AM

Default Newbie GasGas Owner with some ???

Hello all,
I just became a GasGas owner (in spades) with the purchase of 3 well used bikes. '03 ec 250. '04 ec250 and a '05 mc 250 purchased as a "lot." I'm going to need to get educated on these things and this seems to be the place so TIA for any and all help.

Above are the years I was given by the previous owner. I get the impression he just rode 'em and didn't sweat the details. The "03" has WP forks and shock but the specs I've found say the '03 had Marzocchi forks and Ohlins on the so I'm wondering...

Anyone know the "codes" in the serial #s that delineates model and year?
They do have d, e and f in the #s respectively so I'm gonna take a wild guess that that is the "year" code?

Also, the "mc" does have a 19" rear wheel and looks to have the correct suspension, but the serial #/vin # has ec in it just like the other two. Should the "mc" have a mc in the numbers?

Not that I care all that much, but it would be nice to know exactly what I got.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:22 AM

Post some pics.

The VINs may be the same format for all, as they are all based on the EC.

Never heard of an '03 with a WP shock, should have WP43s and an Ohlins shock.

The '05 main frame is the same as an '07, and the motor has the newer lighter cases. I'd put an 18" wheel on the '05 MC along with all the best parts and make that my bike. You may even like the Zoke 45s best if you ride woods.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 AM

That's one way to jump into the GasGas family. Did you get a bulk rate?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Did you get a bulk rate?
I think I did...

I could be wrong on the shock on the '03. I didn't look too closely. It has a "Factory Connection" sticker on the reservoir, same as on the WP forks, so I "deduced" it was a WP shock too.

Please excuse my ignorance. I'm a total newbie having been away from dirt bikes since I retired my '74 Husky cr250 in about '76...
Old 02-27-2008, 11:49 AM

Wow.... triplets right off the bat. Expect some long nights. It is so worth it. Welcome to the GG family. I've got twins myself.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 PM

Default vin decode

the 10th digit is the year, up to 2000 they used a letter to state the year..i have a chart at work i can list here ..2001 is 1.
2002 is 2 .etc this systm will have to change in 2 years and i dont know what they will go to next as this has been in place for all vin used in america or sent into america since the early 1980s
also the size is in the vin,,ill have to chk on that to be clear as i have time at the shop .
Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 PM

Factory Connection does suspension tuning. They are very good with the wp stuff. Those stickers most likely means that bike has had the suspension revalved. It might be that FC only serviced the suspension, i.e. changed out the oil. If the previous owner was the guy who sent the suspension into Fc (or the name of the guy he bought it from) they should have a file on the bike and can let you know what it was valved for and whats in there for springs.

http://www.factoryconnection.com/index2.htm

Btw if both the forks and the shock were done thats about a $650 to $700 upgrade to the suspension .... course tghats only a good thing if the revlave works for you!!
Old 02-27-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid jackson View Post
.... course tghats only a good thing if the revlave works for you!!
I think they offer free setup (with purchase of normal service) if they've worked them before ?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:29 AM

Quote:
the 10th digit is the year,
Hey thanks thumper,
That makes sense though it looks like they are using letters 'cuz the 10th digit on the '03 is "D", '04 is "E", '05 is F.

Quote:
Factory Connection does suspension tuning.
Quote:
I think they offer free setup (with purchase of normal service) if they've worked them before ?
Excellent info skid, Brian... Thanks!
I looked again and the shock on the '03 is Ohlins, duh...
I'll definitely check with Factory Connection and see if they have anything on file. The previous owner said he had the suspension "done" on the MC too so with any luck FC did that one too...

I REALLY appreciate the help guys. I'm itchin for spring now...

Ross
Old 02-28-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Post some pics.
Here they are. Kinda crammed into what little available space I have in my shop.

I called Factory Connection and they could not find any reference to the previous owner in their records but I got a PM from "a guy" over at Thumper Talk who sold these bikes to the previous owner so I guess we'll get it figured out. And you are correct Brian. If FC did a revalve previously they will change it for the cost of a normal rebuild, $95. They said they could easily tell if they had been in there before.

I fired up the '04 and the '05 and they sound pretty good. Trannys, clutch, brakes work fine. Looks like I gotta pull the clutch cover on the '03. The kicker isn't returning. Any common diagnosis there?

'03 EC

'04 EC

'05 MC