Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:12 AM

Default Leaking oil from nipple near left valve

Hi all,
So I had idling issues which are now sorted thanks to people on here the problem and solution are in my other thread.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25700

But now I have another issue now she is idling perfectly. I started the bike up after changing the jet needle to a (N3EG)
And putting a brand new spark plug in her (BR8ES) the recommended plug for my ec 300 2004 and after idling and bliping the throttle for 5 to 10mins I turned the bike off (using kill switch) I was happy and then I noticed oil on the floor that had come form the tube that is attached to the nipple at the front of the engine near the left valve. I also noticed my engine was mega hot, hotter than I've noticed it before.

Could anybody help me with this problem please?
Why is she really hot (I know engines get hot) but piping hot engine with a semi cold exhaust chamber.
Why is oil coming out of the nipple?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Old 09-26-2021, 01:17 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Its supposed to. That's the drain from the powervalve.

Fold and Cable tie the hose at the end to stop water during stream crossings and open it up periodically to drain into a container.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 09-26-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
Its supposed to. That's the drain from the powervalve.

Fold and Cable tie the hose at the end to stop water during stream crossings and open it up periodically to drain into a container.
OK cool so it's nothing to worry about? I will do that
Why was it like black like engine oil not 2 stroke oil and petrol?
Any ideas why the engine was piping hot? I was checking the new spark plug and realised it was to hot to touch?

Cheers for your continuous help F5, did you read I managed to sort my idle issue out thanks again 👍
Old 09-26-2021, 04:23 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStallion View Post
OK cool so it's nothing to worry about? I will do that
Why was it like black like engine oil not 2 stroke oil and petrol?
Any ideas why the engine was piping hot? I was checking the new spark plug and realised it was to hot to touch?

Cheers for your continuous help F5, did you read I managed to sort my idle issue out thanks again 👍
black "spooge" oil, partially burnt 2-stroke oil
Old 09-26-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
black "spooge" oil, partially burnt 2-stroke oil
Oh right hahaha so that's what spooge is I have read it in other threads like spooge from the exhaust etc.

Cheers for your reply I'm learning loads on this forum

Is there anything you could recommend? Do I need to change anything?
Old 09-26-2021, 05:26 PM

Just a quick noob question before I turn in for the night.

Is there only 1 power valve on a ec 300 2004?

The reason why I ask this is because the vent where "spooge" is seeping out is next to/below the left valve cover and I thought the right valve was the power valve? All it shows in the diagrams I've got is, left valve cover which houses what look like bearings and left exhaust valve and on the other side of the engine right valve cover that houses cental exhaust valve and right valve and water pump bearing etc

Just to be clear it's the left vent that spooge is coming from which houses the left exhaust valve and axis bearings (whatever they are)

Much appreciate some knowledge on this please
Old 09-26-2021, 09:53 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStallion View Post
Just a quick noob question before I turn in for the night.

Is there only 1 power valve on a ec 300 2004?

The reason why I ask this is because the vent where "spooge" is seeping out is next to/below the left valve cover and I thought the right valve was the power valve? All it shows in the diagrams I've got is, left valve cover which houses what look like bearings and left exhaust valve and on the other side of the engine right valve cover that houses cental exhaust valve and right valve and water pump bearing etc

Just to be clear it's the left vent that spooge is coming from which houses the left exhaust valve and axis bearings (whatever they are)

Much appreciate some knowledge on this please
Hi Jay.
There is only one powervalve "flapper" on the 200/250/300 EC/MC Gassers. They all use the same assembly and parts.
You can see the flapper if you remove the exhaust pipe and look into the cylinder through the exhaust manifold. The powervalve "flapper" is the movable piece in the top of the exhaust port.

The powervalve (pv) assembly goes all the way across the cylinder. It has a right pv cover and a left pv cover. At low rpms, the pv assembly lets the exhaust pulse into the empty area behind the left pv cover; giving the exhaust system more volume in the "header" portion, which gives the engine more torque at low rpms. (That gummy black liquid coming out of the drain nipple is actually exhaust spooge that is a byproduct of incomplete fuel burn at low rpms.)

When the rpms raise enough for the pv governor (connected to the crankshaft) to move the linkage rod and raise the pv linkage rod (under the right pv cover) which rotates the pv assembly and moves the "flapper", two things happen.
1. The flapper's movement changes the exhaust port height (timing) to give the engine better top end power.
and
2. The rotation of the powervalve assembly closes off and isolates the left pv area from the exhaust system. (which takes the empty space under the left pv cover out of the power building equation.) Without that extra volume of space behind the left pv cover, the exhaust pipe works at it's peak efficiency for higher rpm running.
The nipple you spoke about connects to a small passage back to that empty area under the left powervalve cover; and is there to attach a hose to, so that you can drain the spooge out of the left pv area without removing the left pv cover.

If I can assist you in any way, with questions, parts book (pdf file), or shop manual (pdf file), just ask.

Good Riding and wrenching!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/
Old 09-27-2021, 12:15 PM

This is brilliant thank you, so much knowledge and really clearly written I understand the power valve now. Seriously I have watched 3 or 4 power valve YouTube vids and still didn't get it.

Jim do you have any idea why my engine could be running at a very high temp just from idling and bliping for around 5 minutes? Before when the bike wouldn't idle and I had to keep the revs on a little and blip it to warm her up and play with the idle screw she was no where near has hot.

I've bought some more coolant today because I only put a litre in 1st time starting it up and I'm aware it should of been 1.1 ltr, point 1 of a litre shouldn't have that much of an effect should it? As for the spooge is it a case of clipping the tube closed and draining periodically or could I just leave it, I don't like the thought of spooging up the woods where I ride tbh.

Another question, am I right in thinking she is running rich and that's what is causing the spooge or more spooge than normal? But I'm thinking that might be wrong and she's running to lean and that's the reason why my engine is getting extremely hot?

Headache now but I love it

Cheers everyone
Old 09-27-2021, 07:19 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

There is a limit to how much radiator and water you can carry around. With no fan and no airflow it will just keep getting hotter.

In normal use it isn't an issue. Dirtbikes don't spend hours at traffic lights.

Get on it and ride.

Never jet on how much spooge there is. There will always be incomplete combustion when you are not at peak power. Idling for example.

Jet based on how it responds to throttle.

Go enjoy it. Cover the rear brake and go practice wheelies.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)
Old 09-28-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (F5) View Post
There is a limit to how much radiator and water you can carry around. With no fan and no airflow it will just keep getting hotter.

In normal use it isn't an issue. Dirtbikes don't spend hours at traffic lights.

Get on it and ride.

Never jet on how much spooge there is. There will always be incomplete combustion when you are not at peak power. Idling for example.

Jet based on how it responds to throttle.

Go enjoy it. Cover the rear brake and go practice wheelies.
Perfect, thanks for the advice. I am taking her through the woods in a couple of weeks and taking some tools just in case I need to change the jets as you say after I ride for a bit.
I tried doing wheelies on my first run I've got some good gopro footage I'm editing it's quite funny I suck at them
When I've finished putting the video together I will post a link on here so you can have a laugh, I even go into some bushes/trees.
All good F5 thanks for your sound advice