Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 10-01-2021, 12:08 PM

Default GasGas 450 Charging voltage

Hi, I have a question for GasGas 450 owners. I have a 2007 Pampera but I guess they all have the same regulator/rectifier. After some research I found that Suzuki SV 650 also uses the same R/R.

I have a lithium battery and the charging voltage on my bike starts out at around 14v. After some riding(15min) Its up in the 15.2-15.4 V range. Stable throughout the rpm range and no V-drop even with highbeams on or off.

My R/R passes the multimeter diode check but Im still wondering why the voltage is so high. Is it supposed to be like this?

I found some info about the Suzuki SV 650 that uses the same R/R: "The Haynes manual says "regulated voltage output" should be between 13.5 and 15.5 volts at 5000rpm." so I guess in that sense It is kind of OK?

The datasheet on my lithium battery claims that the charging voltage should not be more than 15V. I have had this batter for ~half a year and I think it is still working as it should. The battery has a BMS to limit overcharge and does not get hot. My stator should be working correctly as i just replaced it with a brand new OEM part.

In the last couple of months I have had the 30A fuse on the starter relay blow during riding more than 2 or 3 times so that is also strange. Could it be due to high voltage?

What kind of charging voltages do you guys get on your 450s? Would be great if you could measure it after some riding.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:59 PM

It is marginally high, you could try your luck with another regulator to see if the voltage cutoff is set lower. That particular regulator is usually set around 14.5 volts.
Nothing wrong with the stator, overcharging is purely the regulators domain.
As to your fuses, they are current based not voltage, so you have a short somewhere.
The diode test is for the rectification side of the regulator and is obviously fine as the charging system is working.