Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 12-04-2006, 06:46 AM

Default self oiling air filter

Got a pampera 400, great bike but it pisses oil into the air box.
Ends up with the luxury of a self oiling chain and a huge mess on the side of the bike. This has been happening since new.
Am I putting too much oil in the tank, should I only check oil when hot to allow for expansion or is this one of those crappy little problems with this motor that I will just have to live with?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:11 AM

aways check oil when it warm and don't overfill it. make sure the air filter stays clean. if the crank's vented to the air box a dirty air filter will allow the crank oil to be pulled into the airbox.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Posted this in another thread, but this seems more appropriate..

hi guys. I'm new to the forum as to Gasgas four strokes. Bought a new -05 FSE450 that had been sitting at the dealer's. Got a very nice price.

Anyway, I was going to ride it for the first time today, but it would not start. After jogging the starter motor a serious number of times, it started to pump up crank oil into the airbox. I removed the plug after 20 minutes, and it was clogged, measured 50 kilo-ohms from electrode to ground. I managed to clean it and then it fired up immediately. It ran for 30 sec, then it stopped. After that I failed to start it.

Since it was dark outside I did not notice the oil overflow at first, but it was not just dripping. It must have pumped out half a liter, 1/8 of a gallon. This can't be normal? Have the dealer overfilled it?

*time passes*

Ok, I convinced myself that the dealer had overfilled my FSE. So I decided to drain the oil. I expected to drain quite a lot of oil.

Surprisingly, all that came out was approx 18 cubic inches, 3 deciliters.

The rest has gone out the airbox way. What is wrong with this machine???
Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 PM

All I can say is, "it's a GasGas." My '04 has been nothing but problems since I purchased it as well. Good luck and hope everything works out okay. Do you have a dealership near your home?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:25 PM

Yes, I have a dealer nearby, really nice and helpful guy, lacks experience of the FSE though. Sells mostly ATV's.

Anyway, dealer talks to importer and finds out and there is a conversion kit available. Ordered one.

While waiting I decided to do a little test to see if it was only a hose routing problem.
I removed the original vent hose and got a transparent one instead, one meter long. From the engine side, I routed the hose straight up, in under the frame tube, a loop around the spark plug cap, back out under the frame then down under the starter motor and finally attached it to the airbox.

When I started the engine, oil was lightly splashing up the hose, not further than 5 cm(2").

Problem solved.

I'll be curious to see what the 'conversion kit' looks like...
Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 AM

Here is a picture of the tested crank vent hose routing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crankvent.jpg (31.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 12-25-2006, 01:36 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info bergerhag. Please let us know about the " conversion kit". Pics of the kit installed would be great. Thanks Bob.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 01-22-2007, 01:41 AM

Thumbs down

I have now received the "conversion kit". I can tell you right away: I'm keeping my current solution.

The kit is no more than a new hose, two pieces of foam, a hose connector and two hose clamps. The same stuff as what was installed when new. Position 25 thru 28 in the "Air box" part list.

The fix is to: cut the existing hose in two, stuff both hose ends with an additional piece of foam. Install the hose connector and clamps in place of the cut you just did.

Maybe the extra foam helps a little to prevent oil from spraying into the air filter, but it won't remove the oil pumping effect. You are likely to still have oil spill into the intake and air box, but you might not get it into the filter.
I do not know why they supply an extra hose. Perhaps if I want to reconvert to original?

This kit went into my spares box.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:41 PM

Hey Bergerhag. Just wondering if your crankcase clear tube remedy is still doing the trick? I've tried something different with no success. When U mentioned that the oil would only splash up the hose 5cm/2", was this only while idling or slow trail work?
I added a longer hose and routed it straight up from crank to the frame and then all the way back to the end of left rear panel, zip tied to subframe. I blocked off the inlet to the efi/airbox. It still spits alot of oil out the end of tube. It most likely happens when the rpms are high.
If your remedy works and keeps oil from going into the efi and airbox, I will copy. I just need to know that high rpm's are not going to push the oil too far back. Thanks, bob.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 08-17-2008, 01:57 PM

Actually I am using th factory fix at this moment, it seems to be working fairly good. It does let out some oil, but not so much to make the air filter wet. I was thinking of adding a t-connector to the hose at the lowest point, to get an easy access for draining any oil from the hose.