Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Default Too much spooge in the exhaust system

I have a '03 ec250 and it runs great. I was up riding the other day, and the two guys I was riding with noticed alot of spooge coming out of the silencer. Also, I noticed I had gone thru alot of fuel in a short distance.
So they helped me drop the needle one clip. My bike still runs great, with much better gas mileage. But the spooge is still there. They suggested that I burn/clean the silencer and then repack pack it. This is because there is still alot of spooge that built up and has collected in there.
Has anyone experienced this? Could U recommend a how to? And which silencer packing is best for my bike and the Turbinecore 2 w/spark arrester?
Thanks in advance! Bob.
ps: another note: the carb boot seemed too short and was a bear to get it sealed right. Should I get a new one?

'01 XR440
'09 FZ1

Last edited by flybars; 07-19-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Mine does the same thing. I was running too rich and my silencer is loaded and leaks spooge out of the seams even now. I went 1 pilot and 1 main leaner and my bike is running great w/ very little blowing out he back of the silencer, but it is still leaking from the body.

Next time I repack I'm going to use a torch to try and burn out the remaining spooge. When I repack I like to use the Moose cartridge packing. Takes 2 seconds with no cutting or taping. The last time I used a sheet that I won in a raffle and it really sucked to install in comparison.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 AM

Turbine Core (Krizman) style spark arrestors will trap a lot of exhaust spooge that a straight silencer will allow to just blow out. It collects in the SA, runs back down and saturates the packing. I have both and with the same jetting that runs perfect, the SA will eventually spooge all over and require cleaning/repacking where the silencer stays clean. I'm going back to the Messico silencer and only run the TC2 when neccessary.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Cleaning the exhaust system is good. I would not, however lose any sleep over spooge or smoke. The way you ride your bike may contribute to the buildup of spooge (by riding in low rpm), but it is no big deal. Remember, you should jet your bike by the way it runs, not if it smokes. It's a two stroke.
Regular repacking can't hurt, and will keep your bike quiet as well.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 07-20-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
Remember, you should jet your bike by the way it runs, not if it smokes. It's a two stroke.

+1, that shows oil is making the full trip through the motor, which is what you want.

Last night in the garage, I just found an FMF Power Core silencer I had used on my '03 EC250 in great shape. It wil not fit my '07. If your interested let me know, it will not collect spooge like a TC2.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM

According to FMF a PROPERLY jetted bike silencer will need repacking every 10-12 hours, under NORMAL conditions.

Just an FYI, because I think most people push well beyond that time frame. When I see spooge, it usually means to me that I've just been negligent with maintenance and it is time to repack. Packing is so cheap, and is a very quick and easy job if done regularly. It only becomes a big job if it is left too long and the screws and/or end cap gets corroded into the body.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll get the silencer cleaned up and install that Moose Cartridge packing. Glen, I mis-spoke on my brand of silecer. It is a FMF Racing TCS-3/usfs approved. Probly the same one U have?
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 PM

If it says USFS approved, you have a silencer/spark arrestor (FMFTurbine Core). The spare I have that will fit an '03 is a silencer only (FMF Power Core).
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopjonnyjon View Post
According to FMF a PROPERLY jetted bike silencer will need repacking every 10-12 hours, under NORMAL conditions.

Just an FYI, because I think most people push well beyond that time frame. When I see spooge, it usually means to me that I've just been negligent with maintenance and it is time to repack. Packing is so cheap, and is a very quick and easy job if done regularly. It only becomes a big job if it is left too long and the screws and/or end cap gets corroded into the body.

I guess 2 and a bit years is a bit over then???
Doh.
I now have the packing and am about to do the job.
Cheers Mark