Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:24 AM

Default FSE 450 Gas Tank

Hi I just ordered the clarke tank for the FSE450 (05)

I noticed it is only 2.8 gallons. Does a bigger tank exist for this bike? For the DRZ there are a few 3.2 and 4 gallon options, would be nice because its hard to really go anywhere on 2.8 gallons.

40mpg*2.8=112km. Thats Not far for my usual dirt bike trips And I've heard of people getting less than 40mpg.

Anyone know?

Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM

I have read somewhere that an oversized tank is to be had, but is sold in Europe. I found this in my notes: 4 gal. tank from Spain. So there is one, but u will have to do some searching. Maybe Nick or Jack can help? I bought the Clark 2.8, but would also like to have a 3.2 or 4 gal. for longer rides.
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 03-12-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
Hi I just ordered the clarke tank for the FSE450 (05)

I noticed it is only 2.8 gallons. Does a bigger tank exist for this bike? For the DRZ there are a few 3.2 and 4 gallon options, would be nice because its hard to really go anywhere on 2.8 gallons.

40mpg*2.8=112km. Thats Not far for my usual dirt bike trips And I've heard of people getting less than 40mpg.

You should be able to stretch out some decent mileage on the GG. The EFI will help a little and since there is no carburetor overflow tube to waste gas out of you should notice an increase in mileage from that also. For an extra idea, put a toggle switch on the wire that you unplugged from your EFI and switch it to the lean setting for regular cruising and back to the richer setting for higher speeds and harder riding. Maybe those three things can get you the mileage you need.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 AM

On my '06FSE450, riding around 1700-2000m ASL, with injector trim at "38" giving CO of around 1.8% at the tail pipe, I get around 90kms of hard flat "dirt road" riding, and round 130kms of mixed technical riding on the Clarke tank. Going leaner on the trim results in less bottom end, the header pipe glowing and continuous backfiring on deceleration so that to me is not an option, even though you use less fuel. Going richer I haven't noticed much improvement in performance, but slightly heavier fuel consumption. IMHO, the key to getting these bikes to perform efficiently takes a dealer who is prepared to run the bike on a dyno, run it in real life, compare the results and move towards the optimal setup. When I got the bike new, it had very abrupt and short lived power delivery, with red header pipe and backfiring like crazy. It now runs cool and has "flatter" power delivery. The long range tank on the Gas Gas website says 14 litres, but that is not right, the factory also supplies the Clarke unit. That was found out after about 10 emails between myself and the factory.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 PM

When I first got my '05 FSE the dealer neglected to inform me to remove the yellow/blue wire. The first time I had it out for a break in I stopped for a break and I swear I heard the radiator fluid boiling!
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 PM

Actually, my header pipe does glow (can see it at night, about 4 inches of it glows) red, and I get some backfiring on decel only. Bike power feels pretty good climbing hills etc, but I'm not sure if I'm too lean? The dealer has an gas exaust analyzer and computer/parts to change the FE, but no dyno so kind of hard to use the analyzer.

I've been told by a few people that some popping on decel is pretty normal for a properly jetted bike but I'm not sure.

Anyone know? What can be adjusted with the software..just a trim number? Or the richness in any part of the band? or what?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:09 PM

The tank I have now is most certainly smaller than the clarke tank from the pictures I've seen.

Anyone know the stock FSE tank capacity (for an 05) ?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
The tank I have now is most certainly smaller than the clarke tank from the pictures I've seen.

Anyone know the stock FSE tank capacity (for an 05) ?
The stock tank is 1.9 gl. I would recommend the Clarke tank, it adds about a gallon and doesn't feel much wider.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
the header pipe glowing and continuous backfiring on deceleration so that to me is not an option,

with red header pipe and backfiring like crazy.
I understand that the backfiring has to do with a loose header pipe to muffler connection. Tighten it up and use sealant and it should go away.

Last edited by Metalefty; 03-19-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:14 AM

The injection system allows you to only set a "base" mixture, giving a set mixture across the RPM range. To allow the system to be mapped to optimal mixture for all load conditions, throttle settings, temperatures etc devices (Techlusion TFI, Yoshimura Cherry Bombs, etc) are available which interface with the ECU and modulate the output to the injector. Claims of significant power and torque gains are advertised, but IMO the power delivery characteristics at a certain engine load/speed are going to change significantly in a certain range only, and you may lose out at some other point. I have been debating whether or not to order a Techlusion TFI system, but I'm sceptical. Manufacturers spend huge amounts of monet developing engine control systems, and the products they eventually put into the market are designed as a "middle of the road" package, not a 100% optimal system.
Has anyone fitted one of these systems to a FSE450 yet?