Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Swingarm axle question???

I have an '05 250 I am trying to remove the swingarm axle on. I have removed the the pull-rods and the nut on the axle(sprocket side). Even after all of that, the axle seems to be froze in place. I have even attempted to use a dead blow and the axle does not even as much as budge. I can't seem to see anything else holding it in place. I did see that the linkage block does run through the swingarm but I can't see that holding it in. Any ideas?

Old 03-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

It may be seized on the swingarm bearings (T-shaped collars). Use a liberal amount of penetrating oil and let it soak overnight. If you have not done it yet, remove the rear wheel, linkage, rear shock, subframe and airbox. This will give you full access to the swingarm pivot. Then, apply the penetrating oil on every mating surface across the swingarm pivot.

By the way, the right side of the frame has a bit of weld that keeps the swingarm axle from rotating. The swingarm axle head is D-shaped and engages with the weld spot. Perhaps the axle head rotated a bit and it caught on the weld. I don't it but it may be worth a look. DO NOT grind away the weld... it needs to be there for assembly purposes.

You will eventually get the axle out. Just be patient and keep us posted on the progress. When reassembling, make sure you apply anti-seize on the axle and it will be very easy the next time around.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:19 AM

Recently been through this and had to beat the crap out of it to get it shifted. Of course this meant I needed a new swing arm axl as the end was belled out by the beating and the nut wouldn't go back on. I'd left it 2 years and the bearings had corroded so only had myself to blame. A year seems to be the longest you can leave it without trouble. It just a PITA job so gets ignored. I think the trick is a couple of wacks with a large lump hammer and suitable drift. A lot of small wacks with a lighter hammer doesn't seem to work.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
Recently been through this and had to beat the crap out of it to get it shifted. Of course this meant I needed a new swing arm axl as the end was belled out by the beating and the nut wouldn't go back on.
To prevent this, I would loosen the axle nut and leave it threaded on (towards the end). Then, hit against the axle nut to drive the axle out. I do this on my wheel axles too. It protects the axle threads and prevents the end distortion like you described.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
To prevent this, I would loosen the axle nut and leave it threaded on (towards the end). Then, hit against the axle nut to drive the axle out. I do this on my wheel axles too. It protects the axle threads and prevents the end distortion like you described.
I do the same thing. I loosen the nut just enough to let the axle move a bit, while keeping as many threads in the nut as possible. Then I give a good whack with a dead blow hammer.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 PM

I had one stuck pretty bad. I ran a tap in the D spaded end used a long piece of all tread, a pipe big enough for the the pivot bolt to run through a nut and washer too big to go through the pipe. Screw the all tread in to the right side of the pivot boltslide the pipe over the alltread put the washer and nut on and just tighten. I believe the tap was a 3/8" I didn't even need to drill the hole out any. The nice thing about this is if it ever happens again its 10 times easier.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:41 PM

Anti-seize when new and it always comes out easy. I have some aluminum rod, about 1/2" dia., that I use as a drift.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:54 PM

Well it finally came out with a little extra persuasion from a 5lb sledge. I had to get the bike back home, so I greased the axle and put it back through. When I re-installed the axle it seemed to favor the back of the hole on the chain side as if the axle was not allowed to run true. I am questioning if one of the bearings blew up and it is not supporting the axle. I will know more when I put new swingarm bearings in. Nothing seems to bind when I action the swingarm?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmguy23 View Post
Well it finally came out with a little extra persuasion from a 5lb sledge. I had to get the bike back home, so I greased the axle and put it back through. When I re-installed the axle it seemed to favor the back of the hole on the chain side as if the axle was not allowed to run true. I am questioning if one of the bearings blew up and it is not supporting the axle. I will know more when I put new swingarm bearings in. Nothing seems to bind when I action the swingarm?
My whole swingarm wasn't binding but when I checked the bearings they were rusty and the rollers twisted like they had been binding a bit.

Last edited by iancp5; 03-29-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
I had one stuck pretty bad. I ran a tap in the D spaded end used a long piece of all tread, a pipe big enough for the the pivot bolt to run through a nut and washer too big to go through the pipe. Screw the all tread in to the right side of the pivot boltslide the pipe over the alltread put the washer and nut on and just tighten. I believe the tap was a 3/8" I didn't even need to drill the hole out any. The nice thing about this is if it ever happens again its 10 times easier.
I like that. Good thinking.