Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Oops, overheated ec300, what's the damage? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16437)

solstice 12-30-2013 09:25 AM

Oops, overheated ec300, what's the damage?

Was out yesterday and holed a radiator, didn't notice until a little later, no water in the rad and very little compression, bike wouldn't restart so got towed home. Looks like the barrel has gone a bronze colour (don't remember it being this colour before!).
What's the likely damage??
Thanks

twowheels 12-30-2013 10:56 AM

Likely need to replate the cylinder, check the head for flatness, piston, rings, and too end bearing ... maybe;)

PlusOnePerformance

Zman 12-30-2013 11:47 AM

Other than the color how does the cylinder look? Are there any scratches or missing plating? How do the piston and rings look?

solstice 12-30-2013 12:03 PM

Just had the head off, the bore looks ok, the exhaust was full of water, drained the gearbox oil which didn't look to have water in it.
Does that sound like a warped head, passing water from the jacket into the cylinder and out of the exhaust port?

Fred1956 12-30-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solstice (Post 125264)
Just had the head off, the bore looks ok, the exhaust was full of water, drained the gearbox oil which didn't look to have water in it.
Does that sound like a warped head, passing water from the jacket into the cylinder and out of the exhaust port?

Did it get hot enough to melt the cylinder head o-rings? That could be where the water in the exhaust came from

solstice 12-30-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1956 (Post 125265)
Did it get hot enough to melt the cylinder head o-rings? That could be where the water in the exhaust came from

Er, what o rings!! I think that might be the problem. Thanks

Zman 12-30-2013 03:06 PM

Yep that will do it!

twowheels 12-30-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solstice (Post 125268)
Er, what o rings!! I think that might be the problem. Thanks

Heh! It's often the simplest things ;) Sounds like you might have gotten lucky though.

solstice 12-31-2013 12:03 PM

Gents, another question, I'm trying to pull the barrel off and need to remove the pin / nut that attaches the power valve actuator plate to the actuating rod. Is it right that this just pushes into the loop at the top of the rod? I was expecting it to be threaded into place, also how does the pin come off ( I' m assuming I remove the nyloc nut and it slides out from the other side of the rod, but it's a bit dark in the shed to say for sure!)

twowheels 12-31-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solstice (Post 125365)
Gents, another question, I'm trying to pull the barrel off and need to remove the pin / nut that attaches the power valve actuator plate to the actuating rod. Is it right that this just pushes into the loop at the top of the rod? I was expecting it to be threaded into place, also how does the pin come off ( I' m assuming I remove the nyloc nut and it slides out from the other side of the rod, but it's a bit dark in the shed to say for sure!)

You can decipher alot by looking at the parts diagrams posted at gasgasmotos.es/manuals or back up a step on this page to exit the forum and have a look.

PlusOnePerformance