Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Oil advice needed (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6532)

jetfish 12-22-2009 11:59 AM

Oil advice needed

Hi guys,

Just bought a 2002 ec 300 and i am wanting to know what type of oil to use as a premix with the petrol? also what ratio i need to use oil/petrol?

Its the first time i have had a 2 stroke hence the silly questions.

Cheers

gasser 12-22-2009 02:26 PM

More oil = more power due to better sealing rings. It also means more smoke, more power valve cleanings, and more muffler repacking. On small 2 strokes it makes sense to go for more power but on a 300 I choose to go clean and have less maintenance so I run Amsoil Saber at 64/1 (it's designed for 100/1). Never run an oil at a ratio higher than recommended for that particular oil - lower ratios (more oil) are fine. The guide line I use is no ratio higher than 36/1 for non-synthetic oil, no ratio higher than 43/1 for synthetic blends, and no ratio higher than 50/1 for synthetics unless the maker of the oil recommends it for a higher ratio.

case-racing 12-22-2009 03:36 PM

i use castrol t2 synthetic oil and mix 500ml too 20L, doesn't smoke much i've never had a piston failure.

MattR 12-22-2009 05:16 PM

Here you go for the premix ratios:
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=182

I like to use 40:1 with a good quality 2T premix oil like Amsoil Dominator.

marjastaja 12-22-2009 11:41 PM

I run my 250 ec with 40/1 or 2,5% on Mobil 2t oil
We use the same mix on 125 Yz from year 1995
It's a bit too much oil but we ride on a soft sand mx track

Debi 12-23-2009 04:55 AM

I run 40:1 and use Maxima 927.......:D been running my 2smokes for years at this ratio:)

stainlesscycle 12-23-2009 07:08 AM

i run 50:1 super m, i've run 40:1 927 in the past. i like the smell of the 927 but it left more of a mess in my power valve. the super m burns cleaner but it's more difficult to get good plug readings, the color is a little off (kinda greyish).. i'm switching to 40:1 super m this spring..

iancp5 12-24-2009 06:09 AM

50:1 is good enough if you use a quality oil.
Just in case you're not aware you need to use a synthetic oil designed for premix 2 strokes. You can use more oil e.g. 40:1 but I can't tell the difference and I prefer to have as little smoke as possible. I know others think differently because I often find myself sat on a start line choking & eyes streaming! :eek:

gasser 12-24-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancp5 (Post 37916)
50:1 is good enough if you use a quality oil.
Just in case you're not aware you need to use a synthetic oil designed for premix 2 strokes. You can use more oil e.g. 40:1 but I can't tell the difference and I prefer to have as little smoke as possible. I know others think differently because I often find myself sat on a start line choking & eyes streaming! :eek:

50/1 is fine for a good SYNTHETIC OIL and may be ok for some synthetic blends but I wouldn't bet my motor on it especially since the blends don't tell you how much synthetic they blend with their natural (dino) oil. Synthetic oil holds up much better to heat than natural oil. No natural oil that I know of is designed to hold up to the heat that could be generated by running a motor wide open on a 50/1 ratio (more oil helps the motor run cooler). Oils are not the same they are a complex mix of various ingredients designed to meet various goals and should never be mixed at higher ratios than the oil manufacture designed them for.

iancp5 12-24-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasser (Post 37923)
50/1 is fine for a good SYNTHETIC OIL and may be ok for some synthetic blends but I wouldn't bet my motor on it especially since the blends don't tell you how much synthetic they blend with their natural (dino) oil. Synthetic oil holds up much better to heat than natural oil. No natural oil that I know of is designed to hold up to the heat that could be generated by running a motor wide open on a 50/1 ratio (more oil helps the motor run cooler). Oils are not the same they are a complex mix of various ingredients designed to meet various goals and should never be mixed at higher ratios than the oil manufacture designed them for.

I agree hence "quality" and "synthetic".
I've used Putoline MX7 at 50:1 for over 5 years now without any problem that could be attributed to it.