Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Clutch howl? (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24988)

Nicktamps 02-12-2020 12:58 PM

Clutch howl?

Hi all. Onto my next issue. When the bikes been ridden sometimes I get clutch howl. Usually when on climbs and hard stuff. What things can I do to reduce this?

Cheers
Nick

Neil E. 02-12-2020 01:24 PM

Change to a lower gear so you don't need to slip the clutch.

gasgasman 02-12-2020 02:15 PM

Or, install a Rekluse manual clutch.

Nicktamps 02-12-2020 02:44 PM

Don't want a recluse clutch. Don't like them at all. And I can't use a lower gear usually as I'm in first when it happens the most

gasgasman 02-12-2020 02:50 PM

The Rekluse manual clutch is the same as the stock set up. Just different basket and pressure plate.

Nicktamps 02-12-2020 02:54 PM

Awh right ok. Didnt know that. So why is mine howling then? Just cheap crap is it?

gasgasman 02-12-2020 03:36 PM

Just a characteristic of the bike.
They all do it, doesn't affect the durability at all.

The Rekluse does improve the overall feel of the clutch.

Doc Brown 02-13-2020 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 193839)
The Rekluse manual clutch is the same as the stock set up. Just different basket and pressure plate.

The Rekluse Core Manual Kit doesn't contain the basket. If he wants the basket he needs to order it separately.

gasgasman 02-13-2020 08:54 AM

Correct. I should have said hub.
Thanks.

Nicktamps 02-13-2020 05:54 PM

If it doesn't effect the bike I ain't going to spend the money to be fair. Might buy new springs and plates. But not spending 600
pounds onn a recluse core

Neil E. 02-14-2020 11:15 AM

What do have for sprockets? If you're riding tight bush and working the clutch a lot, consider changing to 13/52 gearing.

Doc Brown 02-14-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicktamps (Post 193859)
If it doesn't effect the bike I ain't going to spend the money to be fair. Might buy new springs and plates. But not spending 600
pounds onn a recluse core

my 2019 has only 3 hours on the clock and its clutch squeaks already. I tried everything on my first EC, also a 2019, replaced the hub with the Rekluse one that is standard on 2018 GP models, I drilled the pressure plate, replaced the steels, later on the steels and the friction plates, tried 10 different oils. Nothing helped...

Nicktamps 02-15-2020 10:06 AM

I'm running 13 48 at the moment. It's quite new on there so when it's time to change I'll up the back to a 50. Been out today and it's been squealing like a pig when it gets hard 🤣. Has anyone experimented with a bit less oil in there? This time I've tried 1litre of oil but may try 800ml next time as it seems like it's squealing more with more oil. I'm also going to replace the friction plates, other plates and springs when I get paid to see if it makes a difference

Nicktamps 02-15-2020 10:43 AM

Doc. I just read your post on thumper talk about drilling holes in the pressure plate. Did that work?

Doc Brown 02-15-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicktamps (Post 193874)
Doc. I just read your post on thumper talk about drilling holes in the pressure plate. Did that work?

Hi Nick, unfortunately it didn't change anything. As you suppose above less oil mad it a bit better in my first EC. After checking back with GasGas it seems that many people just don't read the manual which clearly states that owners should use the sight glass. I never put in more than 800cc but I always drain correctly, tilt the bike from left to right several times and get more oil out than if one only opens the drain screw.

Should you experiment with different clutch plates please let me know what you will find out. I would really appreciate that. I tried OEM plates and some aftermarket ones (friction discs only!) but it did not change anything. I also tried at least 10 different oils with no success. Funny thing is, on some bikes the problem doesn't exist.

Looking forward reading about your tests ;)

Doc

Nicktamps 02-15-2020 04:43 PM

I think first of all is I'm going to drill holes in the pressure plates. As that seemed to work so well on them ktms I read about. My mate took his clutch cover off his the other day and he was missing a bit of his basket. Like the arms that come off that hold the friction plates in place he was missing one of them. I'm starting to think that might have been done deliberately to allow oil in. He doesn't get any squeal. Same bike and same year as mine too

Doc Brown 02-17-2020 09:27 AM

A photo would be great...

gasgasman 02-17-2020 09:36 AM

Here's some pics of the Rekluse I put on my '15.

http://gasgasrider.org/forum/showthr...+manual+clutch

Nicktamps 02-19-2020 01:47 PM

I'll do it when I get some time now. And I'll take a few photos. Thanks for that Link too. If this doesn't work that will be my next option

Nicktamps 02-20-2020 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I've done the mod. Here is a photo. But I took my pressure plate off and found the outer friction plate in loads of different pieces. I've put it back in for now as it is but I will buy a whole new set of friction plates and steel rings. Maybe one of them is warped. I didn't want to delve any deeper at the moment until I have a replacement as I want to ride Saturday. So I'll see if this mod makes any difference and keep you posted

swazi_matt 02-20-2020 03:48 PM

this was a regular discussion around 2010/11

No definite fix some successes were to use different oil (belray gear saver was a huge improvement for me), others drilled holes and what appeared to be the most effective was removing all the unnecessary friction material on the friction disks (ie so you are left with tabs of friction material and then bare metal inbetween. I tried to do this and after sorting out ONE tab i decided i could live with the squeal!!)