Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Suspension (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Which yamaha triple clamps for KYB swap (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15309)

roverhybrids 06-27-2013 01:32 AM

Which yamaha triple clamps for KYB swap

I've been following the KYB fork conversions and I'm joining band.
I bought some 2009 Yamaha KYB forks.

Now I need some triple clamps and unsure which year and/or offset is best.
I think I read 22mm offset is stock GasGas?
Searching looks like yamaha only had that offset in 2010(and newer?)?

looks like stock yamaha offset was 25mm for 2004-2009.

pierce 06-27-2013 06:31 AM

i just had my gasgas clamps bored out that way i didnt have to make new steering stops and mix match bearings and stem. its the simplest way others my say different

GMP 06-27-2013 07:53 AM

The reason for using the YZ clamps is that the total offset (fork foot and clamps) equals that of the OEM GG and provides excellent steering manners.

roverhybrids 06-27-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMP (Post 114918)
The reason for using the YZ clamps is that the total offset (fork foot and clamps) equals that of the OEM GG and provides excellent steering manners.

Looking at the RG3 website they list the 25mm offset for Yamahas most years.

They suggest 22mm offset for most years......

nknudsen 06-27-2013 08:50 AM

Mine are 08' forks and clamps. The fork tube centerline to axle centerline is different GG to Yamaha. It would be interesting to ride a converted bike with Yamaha clamps and switch to one with modded GG clamps and see if a normal person could note the change?

Anders 06-27-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nknudsen (Post 114925)
Mine are 08' forks and clamps. The fork tube centerline to axle centerline is different GG to Yamaha.

How much does it differ?

I didn't measure mine yet ('08 Yamaha forks and '10 Yamaha clamps).

nknudsen 06-27-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 114926)
How much does it differ?

I didn't measure mine yet ('08 Yamaha forks and '10 Yamaha clamps).

Here's some info on the GG to Yamaha differences.
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...t=12745&page=3

roverhybrids 06-27-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 114917)
i just had my gasgas clamps bored out that way i didnt have to make new steering stops and mix match bearings and stem. its the simplest way others my say different

Have you tried to fit the gasgas wheel?
What doesn't fit?
How did the yamaha wheel fit with the gg triples?

davedunaway 06-27-2013 12:27 PM

Kyb conversion

On my swap I used 09 forks and triple clamps (yzf).I used the yz axle and machined up inner sleeves and pressed them into the GG spacers. I had to turn down the one side in order for the wheel to be centered.the biggest hassle was swapping over my sub mounted Scott's damper. The bolts didn't line up and had to buy a BRP mount.It arrived missing hardware and not fitting the yz clamps. Had to do a little boring and scrounge some bolts to fit. Not a big deal but a hassle when everything has to cross the border thru the post. I emailed their customer service dept twice but no reply. Oh well. As for the brakes I used the GG disc and calliper. I had to weld up one hole on the calliper bracket and retap it ,seems to work good. A bit of work but definitely worth it.
Dave

P.S. would love to post pics but I still can't get it figured on my I pad. I've gotten the pics from photobucket to the website but can't manage to get them onto a thread. Give me a tig welder or a lathe any day.

nknudsen 06-27-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverhybrids (Post 114915)
I've been following the KYB fork conversions and I'm joining band.
I bought some 2009 Yamaha KYB forks.

Now I need some triple clamps and unsure which year and/or offset is best.
I think I read 22mm offset is stock GasGas?
Searching looks like yamaha only had that offset in 2010(and newer?)?

looks like stock yamaha offset was 25mm for 2004-2009.

If there's a deal someday for the 22mm offset newer Yamaha clamps maybe I'll give it a try?