Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Engine - 2 stroke (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Something I haven't read about yet. Clutch issues... (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25301)

Doc Brown 08-19-2020 03:55 AM

Something I haven't read about yet. Clutch issues...

Of course I have read about clutch issues, especially about dragging issues and after one of my Gassers did it so vigorously that I had to sell it I thought I am done with all thousand things I tried.

But, after reading in a British forum that someone altered his clutch master cylinder and was able to increase bore size I have an idea I'd like to try. Especially because my low hour 2019 EC 300 started to get the dragging issue when engine is hot. First appeared after about 20 hours and when ambient temps were in the 90's.

My system is perfectly bled, I change gear oil exactly every 20 hours or earlier using Bel Ray Gearsaver 80 as this reduced clutch squeal quite a bit.

However, all the ideas of longer clutch rod and washers underneath the throwout bearing etc. can not work as a longer rod or a thicker washer will not alter the lift on the pressure plate.

But a bigger master cylinder, pushing the slaves piston further out would. Hence I am interested if there is a bigger Magura master than the standard one (9.5 mm diameter). Maybe one from a different brand like KTM or Sherco. While I know the diameter of the GG master I have no clue what bigger diameters would be available from Magura. Convert to a brake oil based system is possible too but I do not know if there is a different slave that would fit...

I'd appreciate your thoughts...

gasgasman 08-19-2020 10:36 AM

A trick back in the day was to use a valve adjusting shim to add length to the clutch push rod.

On the clutch master cylinder. You will need a longer stroke to increase the slave cylinder stroke.

Doc Brown 08-21-2020 12:49 AM

Adding shims or even using a longer rod (I tried three different lenght on my former bike) will not change anything. The shim or rod will just push the slave piston back in its housing. It won't add lift.

I talked to a German dealer and he said he has brake fluid resistant o-rings for the slave. So I could change the Magura for a 10 or 10.5 mm Brembo clutch master. I am hesitating because I fear that the clutch pull will be even harder.

Anders 08-21-2020 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Brown (Post 196143)
Adding shims or even using a longer rod (I tried three different lenght on my former bike) will not change anything. The shim or rod will just push the slave piston back in its housing. It won't add lift.

I talked to a German dealer and he said he has brake fluid resistant o-rings for the slave. So I could change the Magura for a 10 or 10.5 mm Brembo clutch master. I am hesitating because I fear that the clutch pull will be even harder.

There are also Magura 10.5mm masters available, e.g part number 2700185

Doc Brown 08-21-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders (Post 196144)
There are also Magura 10.5mm masters available, e.g part number 2700185

Cool!

Thanks mate :cool:

gasgasman 08-21-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Brown (Post 196143)

You can't compress a liquid.
The motion applied at the master cylinder, will transfer to the slave cylinder.
Your master cylinder maybe bleeding off internally.

Jakobi 08-22-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 196146)

I think Doc means like when you throw fresh brake pads in.

The difference is offset by the fluid level rising in the master. The change at the pedal or lever remains the same.

Doc Brown 08-23-2020 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasgasman (Post 196146)

You can take off the slave cylinder and push the piston back in its housing easily and that is exactly what happens when you install a shim or a longer rod and that is why this trick never has worked and never will.

Gasser Nate 08-23-2020 03:49 AM

My 2018 is oil based. Is yours not?

Doc Brown 08-27-2020 11:44 AM

If you ask me, mine is oil based. I don't get what's behind the question to be honest :confused: