Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   Enduro Chassis & Body (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   2013 complete front brake system crossover (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18265)

andykr87 09-30-2014 08:56 AM

2013 complete front brake system crossover

Im done trying to fix the junk front brakes on my 13. They faded/air in the lines the last time i raced so bad a mile in to the race that i whiskey throttled into a tree and havent rode in a month because of it. Asterisk cells and gaerne boots saved my left leg. Has anybody heard of brembos fitting on the gasgas caliper mounting pins and aligning correctly? I have a AA buddy that has three new rmz's that i plan on trying to swap with to see if it works. You can breath on hos brakes and they shut down. Late model rmz brake systems are resonable on ebay so i may go that route if it works hopefully.

desertgasser300 09-30-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andykr87 (Post 141328)
Im done trying to fix the junk front brakes on my 13. They faded/air in the lines the last time i raced so bad a mile in to the race that i whiskey throttled into a tree and havent rode in a month because of it. Asterisk cells and gaerne boots saved my left leg. Has anybody heard of brembos fitting on the gasgas caliper mounting pins and aligning correctly? I have a AA buddy that has three new rmz's that i plan on trying to swap with to see if it works. You can breath on hos brakes and they shut down. Late model rmz brake systems are resonable on ebay so i may go that route if it works hopefully.

Are you still running the stock banjo w/ the brake wires? I replaced mine with a standard banjo bolt and the front brake is very strong now. 1 finger pull can send me over the bars now. Same for the rear also.

What have you done so far to fix the oem brakes?

phoenix 09-30-2014 12:07 PM

I'm not sure if 2013s were a black hole, but my 2013 300 brakes suck and my 2014 200 brakes rock. Both have the stock banjo. Go figure.

I did try to put a Brembo setup from my Husky TXC 250 on it and it fit without mods except that the rotor barely grazed the inside of the caliper. I didn't feel like it improved the brakes all that much even though the same setup was awesome on the Husky. Maybe the rotor is part of the problem. I swapped everything back and just worked on using a little less front brake and more back.

Richard Wilson at House of Horsepower in OKC swears he has the cure to the ailing GG brakes. Something about a different rotor (not sure which one) and OEM Yamaha pads. He might could hook you up with some info.

rosco 09-30-2014 12:08 PM

Didn't know there was a problem with the stock brakes. I would take nissin brakes over bimbo's anyday.

Wimpy525 09-30-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosco (Post 141340)
Didn't know there was a problem with the stock brakes. I would take nissin brakes over bimbo's anyday.

What he says I was so happy to have Nissin brakes over the Brembos. I had a 12 and have a 13 and the breaks seam to be the same. I use good break fluid and bleed them on a regular basis.

kpuc11 09-30-2014 07:11 PM

I am brand new to gasgas, coming from ktm, and the 2012 gasgas brakes are way better than my 2012 ktm. just my thoughts.

hamilton 09-30-2014 07:14 PM

I agree the nissin brakes are more progressive and less prone to heat fade then the brembo. You just need to find the cause of your problem.

Simmo737 09-30-2014 10:13 PM

I drilled the stock banjo at 90 degrees t current hole, bleed brakes in traditional fashion, but made sure I kept the line below the mc and percusion tapped line with a spanner as it was bleed, used a super dot 4 fluid and then zip tied the lever in the compressed position for a couple of days. It is now 1 finger and I need to change out the crappy lower spec after market pads I was using as they got hot and grabby. Still progressive but one finger pull. All techniques were garnered through this forum, thanks!

VxZeroKnots 09-30-2014 10:19 PM

I'm curious about the banjo mod, but I can say the brakes on my gasser are a dream come true compared to the KTM brembos I've owned.

The brembos on my husky were good though, so who knows.

andykr87 10-01-2014 06:35 AM

I changed out banjo's, swapped master cylinders, bled, rebled, bled again and nothing. Ive just had it with that set up. Its time for me to swap. I dont have anymore patients. This is the first bike ive owned that i couldnt do a nose wheelie on. I may give that guy a call if another system doesnt feel right