Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum

Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussions & Announcements (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Won't start from cold (http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19357)

Waller600 03-28-2015 06:04 PM

Won't start from cold

Hi

My GasGas EC 300 2006 won't kick over when cold, but once it is running worm(after a tow bump start) it'll kick over first or second kick and is running better than before
I have recently had the carb out to clean it and to put a new 38 jet in and also replace the over flow pipes, but it hasn't started nicely since
It's running N1EG. 168. 38.

Any ideas? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rod Overstreet 03-28-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waller600 (Post 150493)
Hi

My GasGas EC 300 2006 won't kick over when cold, but once it is running worm(after a tow bump start) it'll kick over first or second kick and is running better than before
I have recently had the carb out to clean it and to put a new 38 jet in and also replace the over flow pipes, but it hasn't started nicely since
It's running N1EG. 168. 38.

Any ideas? Thank you

Low on compression? Have you tested?

memphis2857 03-28-2015 08:11 PM

Mine does the same thing and it has 15 hours on it. It is more than likely a jetting issue or low compression. Mine didn't start doing it until I started playing with the jetting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shultzy 03-28-2015 10:02 PM

38 is a pretty lean pilot. My 2011 300 Race was always a little hard to start cold since new. Once I put in in a 42 it was improved and a 45 was even better ( Nedj 2nd clip 45, 172). Always ran and started great once warm.
Other things to check would include leaky crank seals, worn reeds, float level, and as others stated compression. Poor wire connections can also cause difficulties. Plugged carb passages can also happen. Lots of things can contribute to starting difficulties, but I would try a richer pilot to start with.

Waller600 03-29-2015 05:56 AM

Thanks all
Compression on the kick is good, but I did have a 40 jet but it did seam to run rich, and had a wet stark plug , so put a 38 in it, but think I better try putting the 40 back in again see if that helps

Waller600 03-29-2015 11:50 AM

Well we put the 40 jet back in and we did get it started! So gonna try from cold a couple more times and if it starts ok I'm gonna leave it the hell alone! Lol

Thank you for your help and input guys x

bukwheat 03-30-2015 08:47 AM

Try this when cold...

Put bike in 2nd or 3rd gear, without the clutch, try rolling the bike back and forth vigoriously for maybe 30 seconds. The compression of the engine will pull a bit of fuel into the cylinder....

Have the choke on, no throttle and kick....

Old trick...some people lean a bike over until gas runs out the overflow....try the above. Works everytime...for me.:cool:

Waller600 03-30-2015 08:57 AM

Worth a try cheers

Waller600 03-30-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bukwheat (Post 150548)
Try this when cold...

Put bike in 2nd or 3rd gear, without the clutch, try rolling the bike back and forth vigoriously for maybe 30 seconds. The compression of the engine will pull a bit of fuel into the cylinder....

Have the choke on, no throttle and kick....

Old trick...some people lean a bike over until gas runs out the overflow....try the above. Works everytime...for me.:cool:

Well after putting the old jet back in yesterday today tried this ^. And it started second kick !
So not sure if it would have anyway but happy with the outcome

Jakobi 03-30-2015 04:59 PM

Good habit to get into I find. Also helps free up the clutch plates if they have stuck a little while sitting.

I usually turn the engine over a few times before giving it the boot as well.