Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 AM

Default new bike, what to do?

Hello all!!!
I just purchased a xc300E racing edition from a local shop. This will be my first gas gas and also my first big two stroke. I haven't had a chance to ride it at length yet and was wondering is there anything the bike needs or anything I should do to the bike before I ride it for the first time. Any info regarding tips and tricks to owning a gas gas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM

What I usually do:

Check oil level
Remove one link (dog bone) bolt and check if it's lubrificated.
Check spokes
Check bolts
Check Air filter

Warm and let engine cool 3 times...

Than ride for 1h (new engine, so, be easy with right hand) and re-check bolts and spokes.

after first ride change engine oil and check spokes

after 20h change forks oil

Done!
Brasil!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
What I usually do:

Check oil level
Remove one link (dog bone) bolt and check if it's lubrificated.
Check spokes
Check bolts
Check Air filter

Warm and let engine cool 3 times...

Than ride for 1h (new engine, so, be easy with right hand)
and re-check bolts and spokes.

after first ride change engine oil and check spokes

after 20h change forks oil

Done!
I agree with the points in 'bold', I disagree with the points underlined;

Heat cycling does nothing for modern aluminum engines. Riding with an easy right hand for the first hour will guarantee that your ring(s) will never seat properly.
I always do a full pre-check of everything on the bike and fully lube all bearings etc. before starting the bike.
Once I start it, I warm it up for a few minutes til the cylinder is warm/hot to the touch. Then I take the bike out and ride it hard on a flat open area for 20 minutes. (make sure your jetting is at least a tad rich for this part). Lots of 70-90% throttle runs up thru the gears and engine braking back down.
Engine break-in is now complete.
Do a post ride check of everything and go ride again the way you ride normally to break-in the suspension.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 PM

Make sure you tighten the bolts on the kickstarter and the sidestand!

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Lock wire the throttle cable if not already done, light rub with wet and dry sandpaper on brakes disks, clean with brake cleaner, buy some dielectric grease and grease all electrical connectors ( including the earth next to coil just above engine on rhs, frame may need a light sandpaper to guarantee connection). Add an inline fuel filter to the fuel line between tank and carb. I always glue and lock wire grips.

Do all the other things mentioned by others and you will have a dream run.

As mentioned previously, the spokes move on the first couple of rides then settle. You could go further and seal up the airbox and check the seal interface for plastic casting burrs that can cut the filter.

I do this to all bikes not just gg.

Current. 2015 ec300r estart, 98 RM 125

2013 Ec300r 2011 Ec300e 2009 Husky TE310
1982 XR500 Honda 1981 KE100 Kawasaki
1978 GT80 Yamaha
Old 01-20-2014, 04:44 PM
Site Sponsor

Make sure the tire pressures are right. Make sure the chain is adjusted properly and lubed. Make sure the air filter is oiled. Definitely want to red locktite the kickstart bolt and the kickstand bolt. And like said before check the spokes after each ride for the first 3 rides at least. Ever since the bikes went to nicosil plated cylinders there really is no breakin period. I run my bikes right out of the box with the same oil mix and jetting that I would normally run. If you run the jetting and oil on the rich side when new all you are doing is carboning things up that much quicker.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Be sure to locktite the rear sproket bolt/nuts.They come loose sooner or later.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Heres the thread I'm running on the one I just picked up. http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16254

As others have said, pay attention to the smaller details. Make sure everything that needs grease has grease, all fluids are where they should be. Set the ergos to suit your feel, set up your sag. Also check the rear brake line isn't rubbing against the engine casing.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:32 PM

It's worth checking that the power valve drain tube zip tie is removed and that the neck of the radiator filler doesn't have any roughness.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters
Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 PM

Wow thanks for all the responses !!!!

I do have one question about the jetting, Is the stock sufficient or should I change it before riding it much? I saw where it came with a lot of different jets and such. I am no carb tuner by any means but if instructed which jets and settings to do i can usually manage ( I am not good at fine tuning and tinker because I have no idea what does what and what the settings should be). Ive also heard good things of JD jet kits. Is this something I should consider or do I have everything I need? Id really like to not mess with the jetting every time I ride. I ride at sea level (close to it anyway)

Thanks!