Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:07 AM

Default Rear bearings '03

Part # for large rear bearing 2003 EC300 ? The others are 6004 2rs, correct ?
Also, which way does that spacer go between the 2 bearings ? The tech. article doesn't even mention it.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 PM

The rear bearings on that bike are 2 #6004 and 1 #6005 The I don't believe the aluminum washer is directional. It does get distorted when you tighten the axle bolt. It goes between the 6005 and the 6004 on the sprocket side.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It does get distorted when you tighten the axle bolt. It goes between the 6005 and the 6004 on the sprocket side.
I don't think so. If it got distorted you might have had it in wrong. If you look at the shoulder on the alu washer and compare it to the inner races on the bearings it should become fairly obvious which way it goes in. (at least it seemed pretty self explanatory when I did it about a year ago...) IIRC if you put it in wrong the washer would actually pinch against one of the seals when you tightened the axle, but it's been a while...
'04 Duc M800 R.I.P
'06 Duc S2r 1000 R.I.P
'07 Duc S2r 1000 still rubber side down...
----------------------------------------------------------
May be so... May be not so...

My Website
Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 PM

Yup. 6005. Thanks.
For some reason I only bought three 6004. Doh! Have to go back tomorrow. I bought the Jap. bearings. I bought German last time and they are probably built a bit better but I don't think they stand up to the crap that we give them any better so I'm going the disposable route this time.
Someone should put a mention of that washer/spacer in the tech. article ?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 AM

Nothing wrong with quality Japaneese bearings, its the Chineese and other crap thats junk. FWIW, I havn't changed a GasGas wheel bearing on my last two bikes. Steel wheel spacers, and pack the area between the bearing and seal full of grease. No pressure washer.

The washer should go shoulder up to the larger bearing ID. My '03 was missing this part.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Nothing wrong with quality Japaneese bearings, its the Chineese and other crap thats junk. FWIW, I havn't changed a GasGas wheel bearing on my last two bikes. Steel wheel spacers, and pack the area between the bearing and seal full of grease. No pressure washer.

The washer should go shoulder up to the larger bearing ID. My '03 was missing this part.
I went to the bearing house to get some mains for my bottom end rebuild. I purchased NSK's a well know Japanese brand. To my suprise when I took one out of its plastic bag I noticed it said NSK made in China. When I returned it the sales rep told me not to worry that they sold lots of Chinese NSK's for industrial and snomobile applications ,and have had no complaints and that they will stand behind and warranty their product. I politely declined and told him that their warranty of a $25.00 dollar part did not mean much if I had to replace a complete bottom end as a result of a possible sub standard bearing and suggested that the bearing would make a fine coaster to place a lead painted glass of melamine tainted milk.I ended up getting some euro replacements from the dealer and was happy to pay twice as much. I'm not a biggot its just that I have no faith in either the word of a meally mouthed salesperson or manufactured products coming out of
China at this point in time.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
I purchased NSK's a well know Japanese brand. To my suprise when I took one out of its plastic bag I noticed it said NSK made in China.
I got Koyo from Japan. I just opened one up and no China.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Brian,

When I did that tech article, it was using parts from my old 2001 XC250. When working on my 2007 bike, I came across the spacer that you described. I found out the hard way and reinstalled incorrectly.

Here is the thread discussing this spacer. Note: I also stickied it today for future reference.
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2566
Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebear View Post
I went to the bearing house to get some mains for my bottom end rebuild. I purchased NSK's a well know Japanese brand. To my suprise when I took one out of its plastic bag I noticed it said NSK made in China. When I returned it the sales rep told me not to worry that they sold lots of Chinese NSK's for industrial and snomobile applications ,and have had no complaints and that they will stand behind and warranty their product. I politely declined and told him that their warranty of a $25.00 dollar part did not mean much if I had to replace a complete bottom end as a result of a possible sub standard bearing and suggested that the bearing would make a fine coaster to place a lead painted glass of melamine tainted milk.I ended up getting some euro replacements from the dealer and was happy to pay twice as much. I'm not a biggot its just that I have no faith in either the word of a meally mouthed salesperson or manufactured products coming out of
China at this point in time.
A big +1, good man widebear!

A little off topic but what the hell you got me started and besides that I'm a mod.

I avoid Chineese products if possible, sometimes I do without. Not only because of the deceitful engineering to make unacceptable and dangerous products pass a QC test (my in-laws lost a nice dog to that melamine dog food BS, so its a bit personal to me ), but I personally have no desire to contribute to building their economy and funding their military. They have a space program now thanks to Walmart. If the president wants to really do something, he should give incentives to bring mfg. business back here instead of redistributing the wealth of the middle and upper class so that the lower class can buy a Chineese made big screen HDTV.

OK, rant over. For bearings, I go to Worldwide Bearing right here in NJ. The owner is an MC drag racer that specializes in MC application bearings. Nothing but the good stuff.

Last edited by GMP; 03-10-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 PM

+2 Nice job Matt.