Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:31 AM

Have you measured the squish yet? You can do it through the plug hole if you are very careful. Use a long piece of solder and feed one end out to the cyl wall. Feed the other end to the opposite wall. This will leave a big loop out of the plug hole to hold on to. Rotate the flywheel as described in the article. The method in the article is the best way, but through the plug hole will give you an idea of how bad it is. If it is way out, then use the aticle's method before sending it off for machining.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/html/measuring_squish.html

Old 11-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Every single publication I've ever read about jetting two strokes indicates a main down tuning philosophy. I resisted and wasted a lot of time. Tune it from the other direction. The directions in your JD kit also reflects this. Get some fresh copper plugs and find the right main first. Do plug reads and plug chops to verify your results. Don't get hung up on the numbers. If it's best with a 165 or a 180 then that's it.

Move to the needle next. Good news, you already have one of the best. Dial in the clip setting, start in the middle. Feel how the power transitions. Listen to the pipe. The NEDW is really responsive to clip position I found. Such a good needle!

The pilot will probably be a 38 to a 42. Based on your altitude start with what is recommend. Keep in mind that it could end up very different than the recommendation. Listen and feel for the transitions. The GasGas 300 and NEDW is an electric smooth combination, any circuits out of step will readily show up. You should have linear power from about 1/4 throttle all the way up to WOT. You should be able to tell when the powervalve is doing it's job and when the bike is coming on the pipe. Linear, smooth transitions.

Everyone wants the de facto 2.5 turns out on the screw. Often it's just not realistic. If you're on a 40 with 4 turns out and the bike starts great in all weather, has good tip in throttle, idles steady and strong, and doesn't foul plugs; then that is correct. A 40 at 4 turns doesn't not translate to a 38 at 1.5 turns. Again, don't get hung up on numbers. Listen and feel.

It's great you have the float set right, and I think you have one piece of the puzzle solved with the NEDW. I went through the same frustrations as you trying to get my bike dialed in. Much time wasted. Many phone calls made. I've spoken to the Guru's at JD, at Factory Pro, at LT, and some of the local dyno tuners around here. I got numbers from everyone, and most of them were wrong for my bike in the end. It came down to plug inspection, feel, and listen. Now my bike is like fuel injection, I never make any jetting changes over the riding season. I'll adjust the screw once as the season changes to fall. It's dialed.

Lastly, make sure you're evaluating your changes when the bike is up to temperature. Another mistake I made and wasted a ton of time with. A Christini with a GasGas 300 dialed in right would be pure magic. Smooth, tractable, linear, with torque for days.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:11 AM

any updated on the poor gas millage ? I just pick up a 2014 christini with an ec300 and bad millage too so before I start remove and check everything I would like to know if you succeed making improvement if so what did you do
thanks
Old 06-11-2017, 08:22 PM

Default Your going to laugh !

OK - Friday - 6/9/2017 - looks like I finally may have found the problem - I replaced all the fuel line Friday afternoon and it was still having issues with idling -

Blipping the throttle - idle would stay up then drop out. I cranked in the air screw all the way - Blipped the throttle and it returned to normal immediately. I was about to change out the pilot jet to a fatter than what I had it in (38) after reading an article. I loosened the carburetor and noticed gas on my hand.

I tried tightening the float bowl plug and it just didn't look right. I removed it and could see a crack part way around the plug - I could actually see daylight in one spot. HOLY CRAP !!!! I ordered a new one and will know if this is the cure for my idling issues.

What I have done to date - A bit

1. Idle and Main Jets ( at least 4 each )
2. Needles - at least 4
3. JD Jet Kit
5. Complete Carb rebuild
6. Fuel line - and inline filter
7. New Gas cap
8. New intake boots and reed cage caskets
9. Replaced the right side Crank Seal
10. New Piston and Ring
11. New Power Valve Bearings
12. --- New Float Bowl PLUG and oring

What else did I do to the bike
1. Rekluse Core EXP
2. Computer
3 Tires
4. Radiators and hoses
Old 06-11-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lneil06 View Post
OK - Friday - 6/9/2017 - looks like I finally may have found the problem - I replaced all the fuel line Friday afternoon and it was still having issues with idling -

Blipping the throttle - idle would stay up then drop out. I cranked in the air screw all the way - Blipped the throttle and it returned to normal immediately. I was about to change out the pilot jet to a fatter than what I had it in (38) after reading an article. I loosened the carburetor and noticed gas on my hand.

I tried tightening the float bowl plug and it just didn't look right. I removed it and could see a crack part way around the plug - I could actually see daylight in one spot. HOLY CRAP !!!! I ordered a new one and will know if this is the cure for my idling issues.

What I have done to date - A bit

1. Idle and Main Jets ( at least 4 each )
2. Needles - at least 4
3. JD Jet Kit
5. Complete Carb rebuild
6. Fuel line - and inline filter
7. New Gas cap
8. New intake boots and reed cage caskets
9. Replaced the right side Crank Seal
10. New Piston and Ring
11. New Power Valve Bearings
12. --- New Float Bowl PLUG and oring

What else did I do to the bike
1. Rekluse Core EXP
2. Computer
3 Tires
4. Radiators and hoses

i will definitlly look into the bowl situation ,,, i rode today and i hit reserve after 32 mile die at 40 mile ,,,not impress ,,,bran new bike and i can walk farther away lol ...did you get an oversize fuel tank or something ??
thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 01:58 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbotte View Post
i will definitlly look into the bowl situation ,,, i rode today and i hit reserve after 32 mile die at 40 mile ,,,not impress ,,,bran new bike and i can walk farther away lol ...did you get an oversize fuel tank or something ??
thanks
40miles seems a low, but 8miles on 1 litre reserve seems about right.

If your tank is the same as normal gg (about 9 litres) and you are getting 12km/8mi on reserve you should get about 110km on a tank something is not adding up. did you ride differently once you switched to reserve?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:42 AM

here are the full number fill gtank 8.7 littre ,, ride the wood in 2 and 3th gear nothing drastic ,,44 klm ihit reserve add 1/2 litre of fuel i had in my back pack ..dies at 63 klm when i hit reserve i took road back driving 4 th gear at 50 klm hours ,, so really i did less than i was saying due to the fact that i had fuel to make it back and doing 75 to 100 klm on a tank i would be very happy with that result ...
thank

Last edited by barbotte; 06-22-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

What's the squish clearance?
Old 06-12-2017, 10:14 PM

i talk to Steve and he said it is because the bike is new and need braking. so he is sending me new jet for it ,,, we shall see if it improve more to fallow in a week i guess
thanks
Old 06-13-2017, 12:19 PM

My 300 2013 gets about 35mpg now.
When new with the fat needle 25mpg and blubbery.