Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

Default Any kn filter users?

Thinking about trying one i know for auto theyre pretty good but i also know they allow more particles through. Anyone used one for awhile ? Also wondering if the cr 250 kn which of course is cheaper? would cross?
Thanks for any input
Stoby

Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 AM

All their filters are paper type, I cant see why one would use one over a regular foam filter? Paper ones cant really be cleaned, so cant really be reused.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:18 AM

Once upon a time I was in the air filter oil and air filter business.

Please do not use K&N type filters on a dirt bike that you care about. Yes they flow more air. But they do allow larger particles through. Dirty air is bad enough for a 4stroke. But it's twice as bad for a two stroke since the dirty air is carrying your bottom end lubricant. Just don't risk it.

I would suggest you be very picky about using the very best filters. A dual density foam like Twin Air is the best, IMHO. Get at least two so that you can have a clean one ready for speedy filter changes. Having two will help you change filters more often. I try to change mine every single ride, even if it's only slightly dusty out.

The brand I distributed was No Toil. Now there are other products with similar easy clean-up. Many folks are happy cleaning filters the old fashioned solvent way. Whatever works for you is the way you should go. Just make sure you do it often. It is at least as important as changing your gear oil.

...slowly wandering off topic...

My relationship with No-Toil ended badly. And I have some hard feelings about Bob. But I stand by the product I was peddling. The oil works great and the filters are high quality (very similar to a Twin-Air). I made some good friends and learned some hard lessons durring those years.

But here's the cool part...
There I was, it's 2001, and I'm quite suddenly in the business, driving from dealer to dealer trying to set up a display, and exude credibility. They ask me what I ride, and I have to respond "a 1987 KDX200 that I got for free because it was a basket case". While a Kawasaki dealer might get a warm glow from that answer, it was not really working with universal appeal.
Jim Cook had the answer, a leftover xc300. I told Jim I didn't know if I could handle a 300. He assured me it's the easiest one to ride. I probably should have ordered three or four extra rear fenders. But I finally got the hang of it, and never looked back. I love my "What What?".

It's true. I got my Gas Gas largely so I could be "brand neutral" at Japanese dealerships. And the Orange dealers only gave me knowing nods of approval.

Somebody said that owning and maintaining a Ducati is good for one's soul. Perhaps the same could be said of the mighty Gas Gas.

We are lucky.

Last edited by motogroove; 06-27-2011 at 03:31 AM. Reason: typos
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM

K&N filters are slightly more effective than an open velocity stack. The only reasons to run one on a dirt bike would be a) they sponsor you and b) someone else pays for your engine rebuilds.
My diesel mechanic has also cited the ill effects of a K&N air filters used on trucks.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 AM

According to AmsOil test reports...

K&N filters are about 94.9% efficient - this means they let 5.1% of the dirt pass.

Paper filter Fram filters about 99.4% efficient - this means they let 0.6% of the dirt pass.

AmsOil oiled foam about 99.5% efficient - this means they let 0.5% of the dirt pass.

Overall, K&N lets about 10 times the dirt pass thru a filter compared to oiled foam or paper filters.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Neither lets as much in as a lipped boot...just a reminder to check the stupid stuff from time to time too! Dang that was an expensive mistake!
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.