Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 PM

Default Pipe Guard for Arrow

I have not been able to locate anything to specifically fit the Arrow. So I've decided to go with the old standby bend-to-fit metal guard. I opted for the Moose Pipe Armor.

I'm thinking of adding a few strips of heat resistant material under the guard so it stands off a little from the pipe. The idea being more energy absorption by the guard before it can be transferred to the underlying pipe. Create a "crush zone" of sorts.

My question: Will that help, hurt, or be a weight-adding waste of time? Any engineers or mechanical savy members have some specific comments pro or con?

Thanks

Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 PM

My only concern would be a build up of crud and corrosion?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I would use sections of fuel hose safety wired to the guard. The hose will absorb impact and bounce back, and be of minimal weight. It should even be heat-resistant enough for the pipe in that area, I would think. If it isn't heat resistant enough, then get some appropriate tubing from McMaster-Carr or some-such. I would think that foam would absorb grit and gunk, but the tubing will provide very little surface area versus absorption capacity. Maybe 1/4" or so at thickest.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 PM

I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to use.
Thanks, your suggestion is brilliant.

Corrosion is always a concern, but I can pull the guard every so often and shine any surface corrosion away. I live and ride in mostly dry areas (Arizona, Reno, Moab, Colorado), but an unplated pipe will corrode sooner or later anyway.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

You might have best luck with wrapping the pipe with tubing instead of fastening the tubing to the guard. Maybe get skinny hose clamps or metal zip ties.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoman View Post
I have not been able to locate anything to specifically fit the Arrow. So I've decided to go with the old standby bend-to-fit metal guard. I opted for the Moose Pipe Armor.

I'm thinking of adding a few strips of heat resistant material under the guard so it stands off a little from the pipe. The idea being more energy absorption by the guard before it can be transferred to the underlying pipe. Create a "crush zone" of sorts.

My question: Will that help, hurt, or be a weight-adding waste of time? Any engineers or mechanical savy members have some specific comments pro or con?

Thanks
The Moose Pipe Armor does a great job. It will protect the pipe from bigger hits than you think. I used it on my YZ 250 for 5/6 yrs, MX & HS. The pipe [FMF Fatty] still looks great, and the guard is in great shape. There are nicks and dings in the guard that most certainly would be in the pipe.
Thanks for bringing this up, I had forgotten all about having it.
Now I have a guard to use on the gasser!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:34 AM

Ando,

Thats not a bad idea. I have just what you need, got it from Mcmaster to refurb the Hyde on my '07. Its a high temp silicone rubber strip with adhesive backing, you can get it in various thicknesses and widths. Not too expensive either. These guards make a lot more sense than the high dollar carbon fiber bling that just kink the header in a hit. Just not as pretty but real riders don't care about that.

If you want to take that one step farther, and have an alloy skid plate, look into tying it to the plate with some aluminum bar stock in a few places. Added clearance to the pipe and the rubber pads will be more important then.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:00 PM

GMP,
Outstanding! I'll order a length and some o-rings while I'm at it.
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Default Arrow Guard in Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Ando, Thats not a bad idea. I have just what you need, got it from Mcmaster to refurb the Hyde on my '07. Its a high temp silicone rubber strip with adhesive backing, you can get it in various thicknesses and widths. Not too expensive either. These guards make a lot more sense than the high dollar carbon fiber bling that just kink the header in a hit. Just not as pretty but real riders don't care about that.
I installed the Moose Guard with a couple of strips of 1/8" thick X 3/4" wide high temp silicone rubber that GMP suggested from McMaster Carr.
The thick Moose Guard sets against the pipe on the rubber, so there is some crush space before the guard transfers energy to the pipe. Also, the rubber will act as a cusion to further distribute force.
This may just end up being a waste of time. I guess I'll have to lay the bike down a few times before I know.
Here are some pix of the solution I came up with. Notice that I also put a piece of rubber under each "ear" that the hose clamps ride over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pipeguardsilicone.jpg (78.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Pipeguard.jpg (101.3 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by andoman; 11-16-2012 at 09:57 PM.