Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Default Tire Balls or Bibs?

This is probably like asking what oil to run but figure I'd ask anyways. Raced an enduro and had three flats 2 rears and 1 front. The course is know for flats but I have never had a problem with getting flats in the past. I looked at bibs but seams like they will need to be replaced a couple of times through out the season. Tire Balls are somewhat expensive but probably wont need to be replaced as often.
I am a fairly fast B-rider race enduros only, I dont ride dual sports so not worried about being on the road. Ride mainly rocky single track.
Just wondering if anyone else has had some time with the Tire Balls.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2013, 05:19 PM

I ran Dunlop tennis balls in the snow last winter with the studded tires, but that's not the same. They worked well enough that I will be using them again this winter.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 PM

That debate is ongoing here in Arizona rocks.

I have been using bibs in my race rims for two years (same bibs).
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Site Sponsor

I've been running the Tubliss inserts for about 3 years now. They have their bad points just like anything but overall they seem to be the best thing I have used so far. I liked the foam inserts but they just didn't seem to last long enough. When they are new they are too hard feeling and after a few rides they are too mushy feeling. Tried the tire balls for awhile but they were a PITA".
Good points about the tubliss system is they are light, you can run a very low tire pressure, and they make changing the tire fairly easy. Bad points are you should run a tire sealant of some sort[kinda messy when changing tires] and you can still get a flat. But at least you can still ride it with a flat just not quite as fast. If you run a tire with a good stout carcass you can get a flat in the rear and hardly even notice it. If you get a flat on the front you will notice it but at least you can continue riding without the bead coming off of the rim.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 PM

tubliss for me no problems yet
Old 09-24-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco View Post
Tried the tire balls for awhile but they were a PITA".
I am assuming that you are saying changing the tire is the problem with the tire balls. I kind of figured that. I have heard what you said about the bibs and that is what concerns me with them. I think I'll look into the tubless figured these would not be the best in the rocks. I run a M59 front and MT16 rear with about 11.5 PSI to 13 PSI depending on conditions. This has been the best set up for me in the Rocks and have had pretty good luck without getting flats.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:21 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

+1 tubliss. Have been running them on rocks for 6 years now, but suggest you get stiff/reinforced sidewall tires to avoid getting sidewall cuts with low pressures or just run the same pressure as with tubes. Mitas have some good tires for tubliss c18 or xt 947
I personally run about 7psi on the rear and there is someone on this forum who uses maxxis desert uninflated

I also use slime in the tires and carry tire plugs but usually only notice a puncture when I load my bike after a ride
Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I got about 5 years and 2300mi on my tire balls. Yes they make it a PITA to change a tire out but you NEVER have to worry about a flat. I have 25 of them with 2psi stuffed into a trials tire which is about the same a 10psi. I did replace 4 of the balls this last spring when I put a new tire on but thats been it.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Site Sponsor

I liked the feel of the tire balls way better than the foam inserts and they definitely held up better than the foam inserts, but I couldn't change a tire as quick as I could with the foam inserts and I kept busting my balls on my front wheel. It seemed like after every ride I would have to replace about 3 or 4 balls on my front wheel.
If I was a top level racer and absolutely couldn't afford the chance of getting a flat I would probably run foam inserts. But for the rest of us mere mortals I would go with the tubliss system.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM

I'm a TuBliss guy myself but Flat Tire Defender is a recent entry in to the 'no tube' world http://www.flattiredefender.com/
and Drew Smith at WER also offers a different product called Tech Tubes http://www.werproducts.net/Tech-Tubes.html
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro