Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:25 PM

Default 200 owners: Why so many variances?

After purchasing my '03 EC200 a couple of months ago I began to do a lot of research on what others have done with their 200's and impressions from 200 owners on their bikes performance. There seems to be quite a bit of variation with performance and some variations with mods. I realize that many factors play into the equation, and being a smaller cc bike, set up is key.

Some of the common mods are well documented:

* Head mod which many have done and love the results

* Gearing. Seems to be key with the 200.

* Large volume PV cover. Most notice a big difference especially with the smaller cc 200

* Jetting. Key for any 2 stroke, but seems to be a larger factor with the smaller 200

The variations seem to come in performance. Many find their 200's soft on power. Some find them peaky. Some say they have nice linear power. Some have great bottom end but sign off. Kinda all over the board.

If my research is correct, the motor is basically the same for all years.

So, my question is why the large variations in performance? I'd love to hear from the 200 owners with your impressions.

One quick note: I also own a '99 EC200, which is my sons, and have done a back to back comparison. Both bikes are set up nearly identical. Same jetting with LT needle. Fresh topend, gearing is close with the '99 at 13/51 and my '03 at 13/52. Both have large PV cover. Neither has head mod.

The '99 has noticeably more grunt off the bottom. It's pulls really well down low, but begins to sign off a bit past mid. My '03 is soft on the bottom, but pulls hard mid all of the way to the top. I attribute this to the only difference in the bikes, the pipe. The '99 has a FMF Gnarly and the '03 has a FMF Fatty.

Research on pipes reveals that the early Gnarly was known to give bikes a strong bottom pull. The "new" Gnarly is the same as the Fatty with the Gnarly being made with heavier gauge steel. Some even experienced their 200's having a 250 pipe on which made for weak performance.

I'm going to swap pipes just for curiosity.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:22 AM

Pretty much what you pointed out for the 200 not dissimilar to how most people find gasgas' in general. Poor factory tolerances and stock jetting specs mean that seemingly identical bikes can behave very differently.

They have been all over the board with carb sizes and versions as well, which never helps if two bikes have the same jetting but different performance.

My 200 was set up as well as possible without engine mods, and changes in jetting were pretty noticeable. Needle changes could make the bike whatever you wanted it to be.

You say both bikes are the same jetting wise with new top ends, do they have the same squish heights? Increased compression in one over the other would attribute to improved bottom end response. Will be interesting to see whether the pipe is responsible for the differences.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 AM

I've only had my 05 for 6 mths and have been playing around with the jetting since i got it. I've added a bigger powervalve cover and had got the bike to where i was fairly happy with it despite a little hesitation off idle that i was going to live with.

A mate of mine had bought a 2011 6days after riding mine and although he loves it i found it more like a 125, and he even commented that mine was easier to ride.

Than another mate bought yet another 2011 6days and it was chalk and cheese compared to the other 2011 bike. More like mine in terms of the power delivery but super linear throughout the rev range.

In the last two weeks I've taken mine back to one base gasket, put in a new set of rings, measured the squish and had the head modified to suit, and pulled the power valve assembly apart and replaced one of the bearings due to a bit of play. I found the flapper was fairly coked up, so I'm hoping that it'll be a different machine once i bolt it together this week.

I think what you say is true though, they're a motor where all the components have to be right. When i got mine the jetting was rich and there was play in the power valve assembly. Combine those factors with the hefty squish measurement, coked up powervalve and extra base gasket and you could chase your tail for a while getting it to run right.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Who knows what has changed in port layout through the years. In the 250s and 300's I've seen some changes and also some significant differences in the casting of the ports.

The PV spring and number of shims could be in any range of who knows what with those crazy spaniards too. Has anyone ever pulled the spring from the governor and put it on a tester? I imagine that this is just another tolerance which potentially could be all over the shop.

Variances in the intake tract, reeds, reed block spacers, carb size and models, squish clearances, etc.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

So far i have ridden no other EC200 than my own. That might soon change as my eldest son just brought home a '11 EC200 Racing. it will replace his '09 EC300 Six days.
Until we have done some comparisions I cannot really say much about differences.

However, I have done a series of mods to my bike to make it more old-man friendly (read: flatter torque curve and easier to keep from stalling);
Bigger PV cover, looks much like the LTR one but it is from Biketech UK.
Rekluse (the first version)
FMF Gnarly, don't know if its the first or second type.
My bike has 2K3 ignition with the heavy flywheel (this is no mod, it was delivered that way)
I don't know if the head is turned down, but the previous owner said something about adjusting the head, so it might be.
Rain/Shine switch, althoug I can't say I notice much difference.
Lectron 38mm as I never got the Keihin to run as I would like it to. Probably a combination of a worn carb and lack of patience on my part.

The combination of these mods gives me a bike that pulls from low down and never stalls. The engine has just sufficient power for my type of riding. It is not peaky, but pulls quite cleanly all the way.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 07-13-2014, 03:00 PM

Sounds like I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I think that the variances that may be part of owning a Gasgas are more noticeable with the smaller cc's.

I wonder if the porting between the 2 bikes I own are different enough to notice the big difference in low end? I am leaning toward the pipes being different and will test it out soon.

I did look up Billy Burns specs when he was running the 200 and he was running 12/52 gearing which I'm sure helped with some grunt right off the bottom.

I love the mid range on my bike and it loves to be ridden there.

Just interesting to me that the same bike with virtually the same set up are so different.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:55 PM

OP what is the part # on your fmf pipes. the gnarly and the fatty. it should be located on the tab closest to the gas tank
2004 200 EXC
1997 KDX 220
2004 CRF 250X
1974 CL125
www.youtube.com/allthatstuff35 <---some gasgas videos here
Old 07-14-2014, 06:41 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

my 2 cents worth - even if th factory had the best qc and each bike left the factory identical they would still vary to some degree based on location,and fuel oil mix/quality variations alone.factor in how th engine is operated/maintained by diff riders for (x) hrs and wear and exhaust cond also figure.dont forget by now most owners would have modified/tweaked something or at least played with the idle/airscrew and/or jets/needles for better or worse.personally i love that its sensitive to even small changes,u can tell when uv made an improvement more easily or when something is off and its satisfying when u nut something out(if not the experts on this forum prob have already 4 u).a 2t owner cant help but learn what th engine is doin and as u do ur hopefully able to refine it specifically to ur riding style.perhaps they vary caus we just cant help fiddling with them!my 2 cents worth should be taken with a grain of salt tho,my 2013 200 has only needed minor jetting changes out th box,evrything else engine is stock(so far)and im perfectly happy.ha must have got a goodie or else th factory hired a german for qc?.seems like 2t rewards good riding/tuning and punishes poor.i can live with that no prob.should make me a better rider and tuner then! could be with used bikes theres prob quite a number out there that hav ended up either badly tuned/setup thru bad advice or ?,or diff parts/pipes/jetting/fuel etc to setup for a specific event/conditions.eg.sea level on east coast last winter,sells bike,new owner on diff fuel west coast riding this summer at 1500m cant get bike to run right and hasn't found gasgasrider.org yet!

Last edited by barossi73; 07-14-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Great input.

I love my 200 and it is such a fun bike. It runs great and is awesome in the tight singletrack. It is jetted spot on and you can throw it in 3rd with virtually no throttle and it wont die. Again, it is awesome in the mid range and when I ride it there, it flies and has no problem lofting the front end.

I just find it strange that my son's '99 with same set up other than the pipe is so different in power delivery. I have them both set up with same fuel/oil, same AS settings and idle settings and they both run awesome, just different delivery is all.

I find it interesting and enjoy tinkering to fine tune my bikes and have done so for many years. I've been on 2-strokes for the most part for almost 10 years now and have learned so much about how mods affect performance. I have enjoyed reading what others have done and how their bikes perform as well. I personally enjoy the 200's for the many advantages they provide in woods riding. I like that they have "personality" Its rare to read any negative reviews about the 200's and I think than there are quite a few riders who are gravitating toward the smaller cc 2-strokes as they are easy to ride and the technology has come along so far with these bikes that now can lug and don't need to be ridden on the pipe all day like in the past.

Again, I think that mods tend to affect smaller cc bikes more drastically and jetting on a smaller bike is always essential. Jetting alone can change the characteristics quite drastically.

My theory on my personal 200's is the difference in pipes and hope to do some testing in the next couple of weeks to see if my theory is right.

BTW, the Gnarly is stamped 020 U 08
the Fatty is stamped 112 025049

The FMF site shows the Gnarly only as and option with # 025055 for the '03 and # 020118 for the '99. Weird since the current Gnarly on my '99 is not that # on the FMF site. This would lead me to believe its the older Gnarly which was very bottom end oriented, thus the difference in power delivery between the 2 bikes. Hmm, might give FMF a quick call to solve this mystery!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Any bike will show improvement with jetting, but IMO its more essential/fiddly the larger the engine. With the smaller capacities the small throttle openings aren't as essential as you spend more time with the the throttle open further.

Swap the pipes over and see how that effects each bike. Thats what a tinkerer would do!