Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:27 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default Hard starting

2014 XC300R - HoH pipe/silencer/slide, S3 head, running Torco Accelerator for 98 octane.

I removed all of the estart crap off the bike and am kicking it now.

Our harescrambles series is a dead engine start. Esmerelda doesn't always light up on the first kick, which can be an issue for the races.

Any thoughts/tips/suggestions on how I can improve that?

I am definitely ratcheting the starter up to the top so that I get a full kick.
It's not that it never lights on the first kick, but oftentimes it takes 2 or 3 kicks.

'14 GG XC300R - County Cycle Woods Weapon #63

Old 02-11-2016, 11:54 PM

put the estart back in?? probably not what you want to hear, but hey it was you asking for suggestions.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:11 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatYoga View Post
2014 XC300R - HoH pipe/silencer/slide, S3 head, running Torco Accelerator for 98 octane.

I removed all of the estart crap off the bike and am kicking it now.

Our harescrambles series is a dead engine start. Esmerelda doesn't always light up on the first kick, which can be an issue for the races.

Any thoughts/tips/suggestions on how I can improve that?

I am definitely ratcheting the starter up to the top so that I get a full kick.
It's not that it never lights on the first kick, but oftentimes it takes 2 or 3 kicks.
Are you in gear while trying to start, or in neutral?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:40 AM

Hey Mark - I am starting in 2nd gear.
I have learned to keep the clutch in and rev the bike prior to killing it to make sure those clutch plates release as much as possible.

I was wondering if my kickstart troubles had anything to do with the higher compression head? And if so, what some possible solutions were. I've never had the squish properly measured - I assume this is still an issue with the S3 head? Would that help?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I have learned to keep the clutch in and rev the bike prior to killing it to make sure those clutch plates release as much as possible.

I was wondering if my kickstart troubles had anything to do with the higher compression head? And if so, what some possible solutions were. I've never had the squish properly measured - I assume this is still an issue with the S3 head? Would that help?
I am Rod. I asked the question of neutral or in gear. Are you asking Mark to respond or me?
Old 02-12-2016, 09:14 AM

I meant Rod - trying to do too many things at once - sorry Rod!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:34 AM

I don't know how my Gasser starts with the kicker, I'm addicted to the button start. If you are in gear when you are kicking it you are going to have some drag. I think that is what Rod was referring to in his post.

"If you stop eating donuts you will live 3 years longer. It's just 3 more years that you want a donut."
―Comedian Lewis Black

"I think best when I have a wrench in my hands." Soichiro Honda

"Dreams are messages from the deep."
-Unknown Sardaukar
Old 02-12-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:

#1. Just that we all know...your using the S3 head but which dome? #2 Have you actually done a compression test with a gauge?
Old 02-12-2016, 11:17 AM

I am using the middle insert (high compression) - not the ultra-high compression head.

I realize that I will have some drag starting the bike in gear (I run a Core 3.0 Rekluse as well). That's why I mentioned that I take some precautions to try to get the clutch plates to release when I get to the line.

The issue for me is that the bike lit up immediately on the first kick (even half kicks) every time prior to the latest round of changes (adding the S3 head, etc.).

Now it's a bit of a gamble. Last Saturday I was second to the first turn - the bike lit right up. On Sunday it took three kicks and I was second to last to the first turn.

Just wondering if there is anything I should look at to improve that consistent starting.

Thank you for letting me know that you love your estart. ;-) I loved mine too until I went through a bendix and 2 ring gears.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:54 AM

Default Starting

Try priming the cyl by holding on the throttle open a bit while hitting the kill switch. After the bike is off I keep the clutch in and rock the bike back and forth a bit to insure the clutch is free. I run a S3 head with same insert and can usually do very well with my starts. Hope this helps